• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Help with Year 10 Subject Selection! (1 Viewer)

alyssa21

HSC
N/A
I'm in Yr12 right now, and out of your subjects, I do Extension 1 English, 2Unit Maths, Society, and Modern.
I'd really recommend doing Modern out of those 3 subjects you're choosing between - it seriously is so interesting- but in my experience, Modern is quite a bit of work in Yr12. Yr11 it's pretty much the same as other subjects, but there's a lot of content in the Yr12 course which does require some work! Having said that, it is by far the most interesting out of the 3, and is definitely one of my favourite classes to go to.

And in response to your question about Society, I LOVE it! It's a wonderful course that requires a different type of thinking/learning to almost all other subjects (and the PIP is amazing) and sounds like it'd really compliment your other choices. I'd probably disagree a bit about what you said earlier about Society being heavily theory-based; it's rather built upon a conceptual framework that requires you to actively apply all the different concepts and ideas to your own world. But yes, definitely a good choice in my eyes. I was choosing between Ancient and Society in Yr11, and doing Society was the best choice I've made.

HSC
Definitely do Chemistry and Bio!
Modern History goes well with Extension English 1 and even Advanced, apparently a bigger workload than Ancient but also scaled higher. Although Ancient is amazingly interesting. I think Ancient and Modern are good for prelim because they are flexible with what you can learn about. CAFS is scaled lowly so I would eliminate that out of the choices, and I would say it is difficult to get a band 6, unless you get close to 100%.
Ok,then CAFS is certainly eliminated from the 3 choices :) Thanks for the opinion, seems like Modern is the one!

HSC
I'm in Yr12 right now, and out of your subjects, I do Extension 1 English, 2Unit Maths, Society, and Modern.
I'd really recommend doing Modern out of those 3 subjects you're choosing between - it seriously is so interesting- but in my experience, Modern is quite a bit of work in Yr12. Yr11 it's pretty much the same as other subjects, but there's a lot of content in the Yr12 course which does require some work! Having said that, it is by far the most interesting out of the 3, and is definitely one of my favourite classes to go to.

And in response to your question about Society, I LOVE it! It's a wonderful course that requires a different type of thinking/learning to almost all other subjects (and the PIP is amazing) and sounds like it'd really compliment your other choices. I'd probably disagree a bit about what you said earlier about Society being heavily theory-based; it's rather built upon a conceptual framework that requires you to actively apply all the different concepts and ideas to your own world. But yes, definitely a good choice in my eyes. I was choosing between Ancient and Society in Yr11, and doing Society was the best choice I've made.
Great! That's definitely a comfort! Thanks for the info it really helped! I'm about 90% decided.. just gonna spend my last few days before handing the form in asking teachers about each course!
Just a quick question about Extension English.. is it a good course, or is it not worth that 1 unit? :)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Well, I always had a thing for modern! But I have to also consider the workload, because really, my last subject is purely one that should not be too difficult or demanding, as to clash with the workload from chem, bio etc. Would Modern just be too much to handle, what with the demanding subjects I have already chosen, or would it be... fine? I think it may come down to which one can be easier to achieve a Band 6 in...
Thanks, I'll need all the luck I can get! :)
Modern History takes up less of my time compared to my other subjects. And it's one of my better subjects. Some people find that the content is overwhelmingly, but imho it's not as bad as people think. People get too hung up on non important aspects.

enoilgam

HSC
Modern History takes up less of my time compared to my other subjects. And it's one of my better subjects. Some people find that the content is overwhelmingly, but imho it's not as bad as people think. People get too hung up on non important aspects.
This. There is a lot of content in modern, but there is only a small amount which is really critical.

HSC
Thanks for all the info guys! It's really helped clear things up :)
Just curious guys: thoughts on English Extension 1? :D

kevintang

HSC
In a nutshell learning Ancient History would be a lot easier if you have a personal interest in that type of stuff, lots of sources interpretation, new terms (not in english) and evaluating the significance of events

Nah_Honey

HSC
I do CAFS and its a really easy humanity based subject so would reccomend you take it.

denxden2800

HSC
Hi guys, can anyone help me too with my subject selection?
I want to study medicine so I was thinking of doing the following subjects:
English Advanced
Math 2u
Chemistry
Biology

I still need to pick 2 more subjects...any suggestions?

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
English Advanced
Math 2u
Chemistry
Biology

Whatever interests you :)

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
Denxden why not pick up Ext 1 English and Ext 1 Maths in prelim. That way you are doing more english practise so your advanced mark will probably be higher and if you like it you can keep it or pick up ext 2. Same with maths, Ext 1 will make u better at 2U and if you are doing well you can pick up 4U maths and dominate the atar

buckskinbrumby

social misanthrope
HSC
English Advanced
Math 2u
Chemistry
Biology

I do those subjects + physics, and while it's a crazy workload, I love it and it's really interesting, as the three sciences all link together so much and it what you're learning has real-world applications and you're finding out why stuff works. But, seriously, pick something that you like cause it's the HSC and you don't want to be in a class that you hate because it not only affects your marks since you don't like it, but also, possibly, the others in the class (have this in some of mine eg. physics four of us got 94%+ the other got 2% for an assessment, and in bio theres a group who don't try so the average is really low and they disrupt the class the whole time, much to the annoyance of the rest of us who actually want to learn)

btw. I'm in yr12 so only need 5 subjects, so choose two that possibly have some variety

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)