• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

help?! (1 Viewer)

laura.nicole

HSC
what's the difference between underemployment and unemployment?

hsc so close i need help...
thankyou all

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
Sorry I'm just going from memory, but is this from the Mega Cities topic? If so I believe under-employment means there isn't actually enough employment to cater for the population, so many people are jobless simply because there isn't enough jobs out there for them. People are unemployed because of under-employment.

That is completely from memory, though it seems to make sense. It may be different.

DsDeMoN

HSC
yeah... what he said?

no he's got it right.

kathy_d

HSC
yeah i think thats pretty much it..

unemployment is having no job at all, whatsoever.
underemployment is having a job, but not having enough work in that job and therefore not making enough money out of it.
these both lead to the opening of the informal job market.

laura.nicole

HSC
so with examples...
unemployment is having no job...
i think my teacher said something about people on the street selling pens to make a job for themselves...would that be underemployment?

and thanks for the help so for :)

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
laura.nicole said:
i think my teacher said something about people on the street selling pens to make a job for themselves...would that be underemployment?
That would be them creating a job in the informal market (which basically means they are just selling stuff off for cash to live, it's not a proper business that's taxed etc), which is a result of under-employment. If under-employment wasn't an issue, people wouldn't have such a hard time finding a job in the formal sector, but there are only so many jobs, and there are more people than employment positions.

EDIT: Just looking it up further, there is actually a couple definitions for under-employment. Another meaning for it is people who have the skills for a good job, but they can't find a job to use those skills in, so they result in something anyone could do (selling pens). I believe this isn't the definition that should be used with mega cities though (at least, for Mexico City - not sure what city you are doing) as most unemployed people are those that travel from rural areas to the city looking for work, but are underqualified for the few jobs that are available hence end up unemployed.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)