help! (1 Viewer)

Golani

my best bet is that it's inequality that is created by accessibility diccifulties, e.g. inequality of the legal system because the rich benefit from it whereas the poor get screwed...
i'm really not sure!

could be also direct inequality of institutions i.e. dicrimination

stressedoutsam

but by institutionalised do u think they mean like....that its permanent but not on purpose like that rich/poor fairness thing or that its actually within legal institutions????

btw if you guys are my competition im screwed!!

Nupil

HSC
N/A
institutionalised inequality is what is embedded in the insitutions (e.g courts) that make it harder for effectiveness of the law to be applied/ unequal for a certain group of people.

For example it can be said that though samesex couples have formal equality before the law - there is still a bias for hetro couples in the system.

Did that explain anything?

mememe

I remember it being in the multiple choice and i THINK the answer or the way to reduce institutionalised inequality was law reform or updating the laws - which means its NOT permanent, if the gov. addresses the issues

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Originally posted by stressedoutsam
does anyone one understand the concept of 'institutionalised inequality'? cuz i dont!! :confused:

Institutionalized inequality actually refers to the inequality 'naturally' faced by certain individuals/groups.

For examples, the Aboriginal persons suffer institutionalized inequality under the law because of their lack of access (see the notion of access) as well as within things like mandatory sentencing in WA where more Aboriginals go through the criminal justice system thus seeing a higher concentration of these persons dealt with through mandatory sentencing. In this way mandatory sentencing can be seen to be targeting a particular racial group.

stressedoutsam

ohhh now im all confused again!!!

stupid legal studies!!! its soooo hard!!!!

but not as hard as modern history! *gulp*

Smokin'Squirrel

Learning to Surf
HSC
Formal institutionalised inequality is where the government imposes regulations that benefit the majority of society but may have adverse affects on minor groups involved. Law reform is a remedy but often it goes too far, such as Affirmative action in terms of women.
Like ms. 12 said, Aboriginals are the minority group and unfortunately, although it is not intentional, there is a sense of injustice that is evident but if reformed will also affect the rest of society as a whole.
It's a bit of a catch 22. They just have to try to minimise the impact, rather than overhauling the whole system.

Good Luck. The HSC is looming for us all.

2003HSC

the example with the aboriginals is correct but confusing.
a better example is fines. Although everyone is fined the same amount when the break a law eg speeding, wealthy people are less affected than poor poeple and thus poor poeple are punished harder. therefore, institutionalised inequality

Ringo

another example (I hope)

people in rural areas do not have access to the same legal services as those in city areas i.e. Domestic Violence Support Services

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)