Help (1 Viewer)

Danger

HSC
For example, some questions ask for methods of calculating gross world product (GWP) but I cannot find any methods anywhere. I'm using the textbook by Dixon and HSC online. So I was wondering where do people get their information from? And how exactly does the economics syllabus work? It's dot points are clearly not as specific as other subjects like Chemistry.

Basically, how do you know exactly what you need to study?

Also, one question about this statement: Trade in goods and services has grown rapidly in recent years, increasing from 40.2 per cent of global output in 1990 to 55.4 per cent of global output in 2004

is it appropriate to put data from 2004 in a 2008 exam? If not, where do you get the updated info?

Last edited:

atreus

HSC
i dont think it's crucial to remember every figure, but so long as you get the trend right you should be ok- even just guess a figure and so long as its ball park i dont think the marker will care if its from 2004 or not. the other thing to remember is that so many textbooks give so many different figures (some in % of trade, others in terms of $m, and sometimes) that it would be impossible to write a definitive answer on trade figures in an exam. even if u got it right, i'm not sure the marker would notice and u would be wasting a lot of your time and effort finding and memorising the figures, for little, if any gain.

the key figures to remember are unemployment, inflation, interest rates, cad as a proportion of gdp, gdp, etc. these are the ones that are not disputed, so u will always find consistent figures for these.

williamc

HSC
Mate u dont need exact figues. Just know trends. They normallyt give u the exact figures in section 3 for the issues they want u to discuss.

Danger

HSC
Thanks guys.

Now another question, how do you summarise a eco textbook as the content is massive and the syllabus is not very specific. Sorry if this is a stupid question but I have looked everywhere on this site and cannot find any information on it.

sk8ie_boi

peaker
HSC
I think there's about five large topic in the Economics syllabus ... and simply choice an essay question for each topic and write an essay on it. This way, your prepared for the extended response and also tear up the essay for short answers. That's how our economics teacher taught us.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)