help! (1 Viewer)

portiaskye

HSC
Hey guys,
i am doing equality and difference, focussing on indigenous australians and i am having some trouble with the point about historical, political and legal forces that contribute to prejudice and discrimination. can anyone give me a hand? some points for each? i know basic ones, just i don't think that is enough for a good response. help please.

Thank you!

Sventina

HSC
D:

Did you do SC history?

Well, here is the story, incase you missed it:

Since the first white settlers arrived, the dispossession and subjugation of the Aboriginal peoples and their land began. They were hunted for sport and forced into slavery. This discrimination continued throughout the 19th century and into the 20th century. The government implemented Protectionism, Integration and Assimilation policies which resulted in the Stolen Generation phenomenon which continues to affect the overall wellbeing of indigenous peoples today. As the century developed, active political and legal discrimination became less. Aborigines gained the right to vote, the right to be counted in the census and laws such as the Anti-Discrimination Act began to protect their human rights. However, prejudice and social discrimination continued. the Affirmative Action policy, and more recently, initiatives by the Human Rights and Equal Opportunities Commission have attempted to counter the deep state of inequality which this long history of prejudice and discrimination has cast the Indigenous people into.

This is basic general knowledge. You can look this up in more depth and find dates for the policies and laws.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)