Help!!! (1 Viewer)

J@ck

hey,
i dont know wat i want to to in uni, my UAI is 84.15. I have 2 Main choices but i dont know whether it will take me as far as i hope or not.

the first course that i want to do is computer science, but due to my study in software in 11/12. i'm not interested in this course like before. because i realized how boring software design is, and due to the fact that IT jobs r goin down, im really scared dat i spend 3/4 years doing this and then cant find a job.

the sceond choice is Electrical engineering, i chose this course because i thought it is a branching subject and once i completed this i can go to other areas of engineering or electronic related subjects. but idont know wat to expect for EE and i heard the job opportunity is really small.

so i dont know whether i should choose either this too or a betta course....

ErgoSum

HSC
Do both :)

Nuh, but if you are interested in both, elec eng at unisyd has same first year as software engineering(at usyd mixture of elec + software), so if you enjoy elec you could stick with that, or if you enjoy software you could change to software engo (with i think , only a credit average needed and uai is not looked at, dont trust me on this though since some other forum members have said it might be wrong, ask the ee department at usyd about an intrafaculty transfer) . As for lost jobs in the i.t industry, well :( yes .. all the commerce/business information systems jobs are being outsourced overseas, and this is bad for all the people doing computer science to make money and have no passion for it, but ... while commerce jobs have become a standardised product and are being outsourced, all the far more interesting research areas, ai, voice recognition, supercomputing are just entering the time where hardware is available to make em really interesting, i for one wont miss getting a commerce sector job, hard research is where its at! And for those who dont think research is profitable well... look at the founders of google, two phd students came up with a great algorithmn for searching interlinked documents, and now own a multibillion dollar company.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
If you want to do computing, but you didn't like SDD in Year 11/12, then try Information Technology rather than Computer Science. The IT course at UTS is more focused towards other areas of IT if your not interested in the software development side. You can focus on networking, information systems, graphics, internet technologies, and so on. So have a look at that course if you want, and give it a try. The 2003 UAI is 1 point higher than your UAI, but give it a shot anyways.

UTS also offers Electrical Engineering which you should be able to get in with your UAI. You can have a choice of doing IT electives in the engineering course as well, if you want to get a taste of both.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)