Help! (1 Viewer)

LifeBoats

Wizard.
HSC
Yesterday, the English department lost my English Advanced essay. I asked what would happen if they weren't able to find it and they replied with 'You'll get an estimate'. NO! NO! NO! This is bloody crazy. I'm already sitting just below average and this time I tried really hard to boost my marks. I know that it will turn up eventually, but what happens if it doesn't? It's not fair AT ALL, I don't want to lose marks because of their shortcomings. What can I do about it?

Thanks, guys.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Hm...I can't really think of a fair outcome. I suppose giving an estimate is the fairest option, but it is by no means fair. So, I have no idea.
The other go is for them to cancel this assessment and scale the weighting of the others up. But that too has some element of unfairness to it.

Interesting subject for discussion!

lvella10

HSC
It's unfair that you may get an estimate that is potentially lower than what you achieved, however given the circumstances it's the fairest option

Siddy123

HSC
a fairer outcome would be to set her a new assessment task, of equal value,weighting and intensity.

LifeBoats

Wizard.
HSC
The other go is for them to cancel this assessment and scale the weighting of the others up. But that too has some element of unfairness to it.

Interesting subject for discussion!
Woah, no way. Yeah, that would be incredibly fair to everyone else. I'd rather have a crap mark than do anything to jeopardise anyone else's HSC.

lvella10

HSC
But what happens if she ends up finding the new one more suited to her capabilities or structure of thought/ writing

LifeBoats

Wizard.
HSC
It's unfair that you may get an estimate that is potentially lower than what you achieved, however given the circumstances it's the fairest option
Yeah, I suppose so.
a fairer outcome would be to set her a new assessment task, of equal value,weighting and intensity.
That's a good idea, but I really don't want to do it again. I hate exams, not that anyone likes them, but I'd rather get the estimate than do another.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
It is the only fair option really.

DId you ask your teacher to proof read it before you handed it in? If so, you might be able to get the to estimate it off that and your other work

Bobbo1

HSC
Whatever happens from here will mean it'll be unfair for you, whether it's for the better or worse is up to your teachers. Personally, I'd say take this up with the head teacher or principal and fight your case...

LifeBoats

Wizard.
HSC
It is the only fair option really.

DId you ask your teacher to proof read it before you handed it in? If so, you might be able to get the to estimate it off that and your other work
I did about a week or so before the assessment. But it differed greatly from the final draft and it was answering a fairly different question.

LifeBoats

Wizard.
HSC
Whatever happens from here will mean it'll be unfair for you, whether it's for the better or worse is up to your teachers. Personally, I'd say take this up with the head teacher or principal and fight your case...
Yeah, thanks = )

I am just curious of how one loses a paper?
Hahahaha, exactly my thoughts! I don't get it.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Just try to explain that it is only fair is you estimate it upon what your teacher saw previously, accounting for improvements made by you.

If yuo do this, you have the potenial to get a fairer estimate, instead of your teacher making on up.

D94

HSC
N/A
Say if the essay is completely lost, the next best option (IMO) is to give an estimate based on your whole year performance.

So this would mean you wait until after the trials, then calculate your rank without that assessment task (and likewise with everyone, calculate their rank without that task), then if you say are ranked 20th, then you should get the 20th highest mark for that assessment task.

So really, this method takes into account your overall performance, whereas an average doesn't mean much.

flower3000

HSC
this happened to me in year 11 and it was worth 25% the school gave me a zero, and i ended up being ranked 25 when i was initially ranked 1, if I were you I would take it to the principal its not fair to give an estimate or average

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)