Help! (1 Viewer)

rubylotus11

I really need to start looking for a job in my gap year. I have been travelling since February, but now I have to start earning some cash.
My only real work experience is in my parents shop that sells antiques, jewellery and art.
My top two choices are probably working as an office junior in the CBD, or in David Jones. Which do you think is the better option in regards to money and the jobs in general. Is office work better than retail? Thanks in advance.

caroline86

i would go with retail to start with... it's better money than an office junior and more interesting

chepas

HSC
Hey, for those who haven't had jobs in retail, or ANY employment history - are we stuffed when we finish school and go and find a job in GBs or somethinhg??? Do employers lean toweards people who have employment history?

I used to work in Wendy's but haven't for about 2 years now... it's something, but it was ages ago?

(sort of irrelvevent, but hehe..)

Go, retail!!! :D

rubylotus11

Thanks for replying. So in retail you get paid more than an office junior? I didn't know that. I think retail would probably be less responsiblity and stress. What kind of pay would you get at a place like DJ's or Myer if you're 19?

gm

HSC
If you can get an office junior in the industry you'd like to eventually work in, go for it.

The office experience looks 10 times better than retail.

In retail you'll only get $30-40 more a week...

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
i wouldn't say an office junior would be more stressful than working in retail, not at all in my experience.

toisthbe

Evil Member
Originally posted by gm
If you can get an office junior in the industry you'd like to eventually work in, go for it.

The office experience looks 10 times better than retail.

I just realised you're the only other person in this FORUM who understands my viewpoint in job seeking.

Sasky

HSC
hey ppl, what are the significance of the yr 12 reports? Are they a big big deal?

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Originally posted by Sasky
hey ppl, what are the significance of the yr 12 reports? Are they a big big deal?
If you're finishing school and looking for a job, then the answer is yes, a big yes....

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by chepas
Hey, for those who haven't had jobs in retail, or ANY employment history - are we stuffed when we finish school and go and find a job in GBs or somethinhg??? Do employers lean toweards people who have employment history?

I used to work in Wendy's but haven't for about 2 years now... it's something, but it was ages ago?

(sort of irrelvevent, but hehe..)

Go, retail!!! :D
yep yep yep. "we're" stuffed, someone like you who has some sort of work experience isn't.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)