Help! (1 Viewer)

The whole year my teacher has said to help as many people as you can. Well, I've been helping people with everyone of my subjects. Now I am asking for help, with everything. I failed my CSSA trial so badly, and since Religion is my favourite subjects (or one of them) that's really bad. Please, if you can help me with anything....in 2 Unit, I REALLY need help with Religion and the Media

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Modern Hot Chic said:
The whole year my teacher has said to help as many people as you can. Well, I've been helping people with everyone of my subjects. Now I am asking for help, with everything. I failed my CSSA trial so badly, and since Religion is my favourite subjects (or one of them) that's really bad. Please, if you can help me with anything....in 2 Unit, I REALLY need help with Religion and the Media
*senses pre HSC panic.....*
LOL

what do you need help with? (and please dont say Religion and the media...)
What specifically?? (refer to syllabus)
ie
Students learn about:
∑ religion and its use of print and electronic media to propagate a point of view:
– how religious views are/can be communicated, eg documentary; talkback; dedicated newspapers, brochures and journals; regular column; editorial
– how religious media are used as vehicles for/of religious conversion
∑ the print and electronic media treatment of religious traditions, issues and personalities
– the concepts of neutrality, bias and objectivity/subjectivity
– dimensions of traditions/issues/personalities which make these worthy of media interest, for example:
- extraordinariness
- controversy
- counter to prevailing broader culture
– media presentation of religious personalities, traditions and issues and whether such coverage is accurate and representative, for example:
- treatment of religious personalities, with reference to the ratio of male/female coverage
- treatment of religious traditions, with reference to the coverage of traditions other than Christianity
- treatment of religious issues, with reference to the ratio of explicitly ethical as opposed to non-ethical issues
– the media as a vehicle for promoting religious understanding and tolerance, eg coverage of national/international religious festivals, feasts and events.Students learn to:
∑ recognise the media as an important vehicle in the promotion of religion in Australia.
Students learn about:
∑ the nature and variety of beliefs of those who do not embrace a religious perspective of life:
– the trend in the ‘no religion’ category from census data from the 1961 census to the present
– various secular and ‘non-religious’ perspectives that exist in Australian society. Study of perspectives must include atheism, agnosticism and humanism.Students learn to:
∑ examine the place and importance of beliefs and belief systems in human experience
∑ compare and contrast the beliefs and action/activity of ONE secular/non-religious perspective with that of ONE religious tradition considering at least the following (where perspectives are relevant and clear on this/these issue(s)):
- beliefs:
- the origin of the universe
- life after physical death
- the view of the human person
- material accumulation and possessions
- action/activity:
- environmental concerns and sustainability
- social responsibility
- community involvement and outreach
- daily/weekly/monthly/yearly rhythms of life

Religion and the media is pretty easy (its the non-religious part that throws people) as it tends to be resource based (based on past HSC's) so its more like Yr 11 English/media analysis.

There is a set of notes on media in one of the threads if you bother to look.........!!
:)

soiled_poncho

Seeing as we're playing the help game, how likely is it that I will have to answer something on rites of private devotion?

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
95% probability.....not 100% cause my maths sucks+ you have to leave room for error..........

Zoe..if you need help, you know how to contact me..

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
Modern Hot Chic said:
RE - deffiently best subject
um i just did some revision regarding religion and the media so i might be able to help a little bit.

k - first thing - you should have been collecting articles throughout the year regarding media and relgion (if not there is always the net :) ) which in case they ask you to you can draw upon examples. Personally in the trial and half yearly i foudn that you can usually bring in an article you have found into the question anyway even if there is a stimulosu because it demonstrates that you have done a wide reading and got 'activly invovlved' in the subject.
the point i was making was to knwo a couple of articles on re and media

i did a cool little mind map thingy for the rest of the syllubus so i'll post that on here for you - it might hlep explain things a bit easier...

if you want anything expalined - cause it is quite summariesed - just post and i'm happy to - k my scanner isn't working - i'll post it as soon as it does

hope helps
Mel

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
good articles from the last couple of weeks could be anything on the education debates re funding esp. when the Catholic Church and the Anglican Church issued a joint statement on how stupid the Labor policy is!

Also, anything really on the depiction of the Church in the media which you will get heaps on.....
IMO, knowledge of some egs is good but dont make it your focus as there is a bit more to the topic than just knowing two eg.s (refer to syllabus) esp. if the Board gives you the stimulus (not 100% guranteed but...)

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Filter them down/turf out...many teachers and students get fixated on collecting articles all year when its not the aim or purpose of the unit (or that half of the unit :) ) You really only need one or two (if that) and I would suggest something that is recent so that it *may* be something that the markers are familiar with...hence the election suggestion.
Best examples meet the criteria as set down by the syllabus ie
•religion and its use of print and electronic media to propagate a point of view
•recognise the media as an important vehicle in the promotion of religion in Australia.
•he print and electronic media treatment of religious traditions, issues and personalities

The last one is the easiet one IMO as its the most common...on a large stage that is. Look up stuff on Archbishop Jensen and Pell for this one!..and the issue previously mentioned as well
The first and second on you can use religious media (like the Catholic Weekly etc....you dont need specifics just to know who does what)

The Da Vinci Code

As you know, when the book became as popular as it is there were alot of newpaper articles on it in the face of religion...same with Mel Gibson's the passion of Christ. Do you think I could use one of those? And do you think it would come under 'the print and electronic media treatment of religious traditions, issues and personalities'?

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Modern Hot Chic said:
As you know, when the book became as popular as it is there were alot of newpaper articles on it in the face of religion...same with Mel Gibson's the passion of Christ. Do you think I could use one of those? And do you think it would come under 'the print and electronic media treatment of religious traditions, issues and personalities'?
maybe the passion stuff....not so sure about the da vinci code articles as Im not familiar with what they were saying

It really depends on the context of both the articles and the question

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
Modern Hot Chic said:
hey again

you can deffiently use the passion stuff - ummm i'm reading teh Da Vinci code atm and i was thinking about how u woudl use it... mabye (and this is a very left wing mabye depending on how u argue it) u could say that it was a presentation of religion yes and depending on the articles u use you could look at what the media picked up from the book...

i'm only half way through it - and i've found it presents that whole 'sensationalised' dramatic style of religion - it depends what ur articles r saying i guess. If they r like 'wow - the presentaiton of the chuch in this book is so right' blah blah blah then you can look at biased in the media

that may not have made any sense...

i've got my mind map - stupid net wont work so i'll email it to u

Mel

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)