help! (1 Viewer)

spaghera

can someone please help me with the follwoing points:
*environmental issues associated with the extraction of sulfur
*how the properties of a named emulsion relate to its uses...say, mayonnaise?
*modelling an equilibrium reaction...would that just be using molecular modelling kits...but how would u model things like temp and pressure change?

any help is greatly appreciated!
good luck everyone!

mojako

HSC
enviro issues
1. sulfur (S) is easily oxidised to SO2 or reduced to H2S, both of which are serious air pollutants even at low concentrations.
2. in the extraction of sulfur we use water. it's necessary to re-use it and not discharge it to the enviro becoz it may have dissolved impurities that were present in the deposit
3. its almost impossible to back-fill the underground caverns left after the extraction. earth subsidenced over the mining area are possible.

emultion thing:
there are two types of emulsion: oil-in-water and water-in-oil.
mayonnaise, milk, cleansing creams are oil-in-water
butter, margarine, lipsticks, moisturisers are water-in-oil
how properties relate to use? hmm... sometimes it just happens to be like that I think.. like mayonnaise just happens to be oil-in-water and it happens to taste good.
but some other times,
oil-in-water attracts oily particles.. like soap attracts oil and grease, do does cleansing cream
water-in-oil is when you want oil... like margarine... u want the oil for it to be delicious.. (am I making any sense? perhaps not)

modelling equil:
no its not molecular model kits (if u mean the things like the balls, connectors etc)
basically its modelling or investigating what happens if u change temp or pressure etc.
u can use equil in which the LHS has different colour to the RHS
For example, N2O4 (g) -- 2NO2 (g)
LHS is yello whilst the RHS is red.
so if it goes more red or orangy then the equil moves to the right.
maybe some1 can give an example where the thing is aqueous.

hmm apparently I did an exp on that, http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?t=43685

good luck to u too ^_^

Last edited:

spaghera

oh ok, ive done that exp. i think an aqueous eg would be the chromate/dichromate where its yellow and orange, i just didnt realise that was for that point!

thanks alot!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)