Help (1 Viewer)

miranda

HSC
Hi,

I posted my email address on a few threads offering notes.
I've received a few emails asking for them and have been happy to oblige.
Now i have received an email from someone i believe got my address from here with the subject "Okay cunt" and an attached message which was unreadable...

Obviously posting my email address was at my own risk but if anyone knows someone with the email address:

mark@marketsearch.com.au

please let me know

miranda

HSC
yeah but i wanna know who it is and why it appears they tried to send me what i suppose is a virus. and it was abusive. and how they got my email address...

sunny

meh.
HSC
The from address of the email is likely to be spoofed. Or the person who actually has that email address has the virus and the virus sent out the email so they didn't even know themselves.

You should know that once you've posted your email address on the net somewhere, you'll get spam. Its not because people are targeting you or are out to get your email address to send you abusive emails - there are programs called "spiders" that are designed to crawl the Internet looking for email addresses to send spam to.

Don't want to get spam? Don't post your email address.

miranda

HSC
yeah, ironically, posting on a few threads with my address kindly offering notes was the first time i've ever posted my address on the net.

sunny

meh.
HSC
miranda said:
yeah, ironically, posting on a few threads with my address kindly offering notes was the first time i've ever posted my address on the net.
Just don't post your real address up directly like a@b.com

Change it abit and say a @ b.com, a@b.com.nospam etc etc to try and fool spiders that crawl for email addresses.

tonberry_kun

O RLY?
HSC
or if u are offering notes, its best to just upload them somewhere, or send them into BOS, that way, everyone can get them easier (without having to email u and wait for a reply), and u won't get spam, plus u won't have to go thru the hassle of sending ur notes to each and every person that emails u

just a suggestion :)

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Thanks for offering your notes :)
As tonberry says, if you upload them to boredofstudies you don't have to individually send them to other people.

If you can't upload them through the usual manner (on the main boredofstudies.org page) you can email them to one of the moderators and we'll upload it for you.

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Search bots scour websites for email address periodically, and then add them to a spam list. This is why you always obfuscate your email if you ever post it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)