Help (1 Viewer)

tensai

HSC
I just finished my HSC this year and i'm faced with the dilemma of picking my uni courses. The problem with me is that i'm not outstanding in anything but pretty good in everything. So i'm very confused about my capabilities and wot uni course will suit me. Please offer me some advice, thank you.

engadv:89
ext eng: 46/50
ext1 maths:96
ext2 maths:92
phys:91
chem:87

UAI:98.90

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
you've insulted me greatly.

I understand if you said you were unsure of the future but saying you're not outstanding? Come on.

If you put effort into it, you'll succeed. That's all I'll say.

Sweet_Lemon

Final Sem'
HSC
with tat UAI....u could try LAW.....
BTW.... i read an oversea newspaper...lol...this business man hired a Lawyer to success his business career, but he got ripped off by 1billion or something..and then he said it's all the lawyer's fault so the lawyer paid out from his pocket 800 million....LOL

Generator

HSC
N/A
Well, what do you like and what do you want? Try to answer those questions and then we may be able to offer a suggestion or two.

claudia_p

HSC
tensai said:
I just finished my HSC this year and i'm faced with the dilemma of picking my uni courses. The problem with me is that i'm not outstanding in anything but pretty good in everything. So i'm very confused about my capabilities and wot uni course will suit me. Please offer me some advice, thank you.

engadv:89
ext eng: 46/50
ext1 maths:96
ext2 maths:92
phys:91
chem:87

UAI:98.90
I have a good idea. How about we swap UAI's? That way, I get to pick something I want and your choice becomes more restricted so your dilemma of choosing a course isn't quite so great. Sound good to you?

Nah, I'm only kidding- my UAI wasn't much lower than yours and I'm not sure what I'm going to do either.

What do you want to do? You have great results in english, maths and science so it's hard to tell whether your a more creative or logical person- you're probably a bit of both. Which subjects did you enjoy more? What are your interests? Maybe just photocopy the UAI cut-off list and stick it on the wall and close your eyes and point to something and pick that?

Generator

HSC
N/A
One suggestion that must be made before all others is that you should not be worried about 'wasting' your UAI... Do not pick a course with a high cut-off just for the sake of using your UAI.

doe

HSC
N/A
pick a generic degree (eg BA, BSc) and spend first year trying out different stuff to see what interests you. if you get good marks you should be able to transfer to a specific degree in second year, if need be. if you have a science bent (judging by your subjects) look at a BSc at UNSW, UTS or UOW

tensai

HSC
Thank you all for offering advice. Some one recommended liberal studies....how is that?

tensai

HSC
Wot's the advantage of doing such a course? wouldnt employers want someone who has dun one course for 4 years rather than someone who has juz dun one semester of the same course?

doe

HSC
N/A
doing liberal studies or a vanilla degree? say you do a plain BSc at macuni, you will do 8 units in your first year. So you could do one or two chem units, physics units, maths units and arts/culture units to see what you enjoy. Then in second year you could focus on the area that you like. If you enrolled in something like a B Chemistry or something (ie with an explicit area already chosen) you would probably be restricted to doing mostly chemistry units. I think liberal studies is the same idea but for more arts subjects (eg culture, politics, etc)

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
You're just entering university, my advice is to ignore employers. When you get closer to graduation, you can worry about employment prospects.

Lainee

HSC
poloktim said:
You're just entering university, my advice is to ignore employers. When you get closer to graduation, you can worry about employment prospects.
Hmm.. Although this may simplify your criteria for choosing a course, it does not necessarily lead you on a good career path if you're just considering 1-2 years ahead. I believe that a degree is a good investment if it opens doors to a solid job. Yes, perhaps the attainment of knowledge can be argued as the valued end-product itself, but thinking in dead-straight practicality the purpose of this attainment of furthur knowledge is to enhance your employability.

Generator said:
Well, what do you like and what do you want? Try to answer those questions and then we may be able to offer a suggestion or two.
Tensai, you haven't answered this question yet. Your marks aren't necessarily an indication of what you enjoy - just what you're good at. Maybe the two aren't mutually exclusive in your case, but it's good to sit down and write down specifically what you enjoy. For all my subjects my marks were very close together, and I enjoyed every subject from English to Maths and Economics. However, when I sat down and really thought about it, I found that I enjoyed doing research projects and copious amounts of reading, I'm not too creative when given a blank piece of paper, and that I enjoy a good argument. :) Such specifics really help you decide what you would like to do day-to-day in your studies and in your chosen employment.

tensai

HSC
Tensai, you haven't answered this question yet. Your marks aren't necessarily an indication of what you enjoy - just what you're good at. Maybe the two aren't mutually exclusive in your case, but it's good to sit down and write down specifically what you enjoy. For all my subjects my marks were very close together, and I enjoyed every subject from English to Maths and Economics. However, when I sat down and really thought about it, I found that I enjoyed doing research projects and copious amounts of reading, I'm not too creative when given a blank piece of paper, and that I enjoy a good argument. :) Such specifics really help you decide what you would like to do day-to-day in your studies and in your chosen employment.[/QUOTE]

Basically i enjoy anything tat i'm good at, juz like many other ppl?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)