Help! (1 Viewer)

twisted

hey can anyone help me here with an evaluation of the importance of naval strength for both Persians and Greeks during the Persian Wars?

malayz_angel

Think the Battle of Salamis...the oracle predicted that Greece's only salvation from the Persians was through 'wooden walls' which turned out to be triremes, large ships built like the ships the Persians had. Navel strength was important to the Greeks at this point as the Persians were much more numerous and stronger on land, with exception to possibly the Spartans. Without triremes, the Greeks would have lost the naval wars and would probably not have gained the position of power from Persia. It's pretty sketchy but just look up the Salamis battle for proper info

twisted

omg thank u so much
but then can u also tell me why naval strength was important for the persians?

Harimau

You are not me, therefore you are irrelevant
HSC
Originally posted by twisted
omg thank u so much
but then can u also tell me why naval strength was important for the persians?
Naval strength was the thing that allowed supplies to be brought in from the aetolian peninsula... Also, the ships protect the 'bridge' that connects persia with greece.

malayz_angel

The reason for naval strength's importance for the Persians was the opposite of the Greek's need for it-- the Greeks needed it to defend themselves against the Persians and the Persians needed it to conquer the Greeks. This time think the bridge of the '300 lashes' that Herodotus mentions-- Xerxes needed that bridge to cross over to Greek territory and gave the sea 300 lashes with a whip because a storm wrecked the bridge. Ships were not only used for fighting but were used to keep supplies and food handy for Xerxes and his army close by.

swingin' n

greek triremes vs persians heavier, slower ships + strategically narrow waters (such as at artemisium) = greek victory!

hows zat for a summary!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)