• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Help (1 Viewer)

AFGHAN22

HSC
can some 4 unit maths students give me som advice with regard to it. I am currently doing 3 unit in year 11 and I am doing reasonably well. However, I have a genuine love for Mathematics except I don't have the best brain. What do u guyz recommend? Should I do 4 unit? Wht kind of work does it involve? How is it different to uni? Why does it get scaled up so high?

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
1. Give it a shot. What are you going to lose? Just make sure you do your first HSC 2U test in case you decide to drop back down to MX1.
2. It involves are fair bit of work and you need to practise a lot of exercises to get the hang of certain topics. Don't be discouraged by Complex Numbers (you will most likely start MX2 with this topic). It's a new concept that isn't really derived from any MX1 topic, but after a few weeks you will understand it.
3. I don't know how it's different to uni coz I'm doing my HSC this year :)
4. It's scaled highly because the candidature is generally of a high ability. Don't let this fact influence you. If you perform poorly in MX2, you won't get "scaled up", despite what other people may say.

AFGHAN22

HSC
Rench

How much work does it involve per night? Is it true u have no socila life? Would I need tutoring f I try 4 unit Maths? Thanx for you reply. Greatly appreciated.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
You don't have to study for MX2 every night, or else you might just burn out :) - depending on your teacher, you might get 1-2 hours of homework every couple of nights since you generally only have about 2 MX2 lessons per week. No, it's not true that you have no social life...that's just a stereotype.
Whether or not you will need tutoring, I can't say...if you find that the coursework is difficult and you need assistance, by all means seek help from a tutor or post questions here on BoS.

You must also be quite self-motivated for MX2...seek extra exercises from other books and do work over and above homework given to you at school.

who_loves_maths

I wanna be a nebula too!!
somewhere amidst the nebulaic cloud of your heart
HSC
Originally Posted by AFGHAN22
I have a genuine love for Mathematics except I don't have the best brain
don't be so self-deprecating. ppl who appreciate maths enough so as to have a genuine love for it are definitely capable of taking on its difficulties. your brain loves maths for a reason.

How much work does it involve per night? Is it true u have no socila life? Would I need tutoring f I try 4 unit Maths?
everyone single person is the state who's doing maths 4u are all different. there's no correct answer to any of those three questions... otherwise you'd be stereotyping the whole candidature of 4u maths.
those three questions are related and the answer to them is the amount of work and effort that you are personally willing to devote to the study of 4u maths. plus, no one can tell you correctly whether 4u maths is 'hard' or 'easy' or whether you will need a tutor or not, for the simple reason that not everyone encounters the same level of difficulty or ease when doing 4u, and that not everyone has/has not a tutor.
so you're gonna get different responses to each of those questions, but the best answer is the one you give yourself.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
AFGHAN22 said:
I have a genuine love for Mathematics
That's all you need mate. If you've got the mind to do reasonably well at 3U and you have the motivation then you'll be fine :).

HayleeKate

HSC
AFGHAN22 said:
I have a genuine love for Mathematics
Doing 4 units of maths is the best way to fix that! Try and I'm sure it'll fix your disease :p Or, perhaps just encourage it further.
Personally I oscillate [in SHM ahaha] between the two.. tends to depend on how many maths assessments I have that week.

sarabeara

HSC
you should do it if u really love maths, but only if you have the right attitude. depending on what kind of student you are depends on how easy or hard you will find 4unit. But the thing ive learnt most this year is you CANNOT lose faith in yourself. i personally find 4unit pretty demanding... but i never expected it to be a walk in the park wen i chose to do it... it is 4unit after all!!
I have noticed though that whenever i lose faith in my ability, i dont do as well, and whenever i feel confident that i can do it, i do much better.
maths requires logic as you well know, so if u choose to do 4unit dont freak out in the first few weeks. give it a chance, because there is plenty of time to drop.
i think that if u love maths as much as it sounds like you'll do brilliantly!
and the topics just sound scary (well to me anyway!) but half the time they arent that bad!! :D
so wen u hit complex numbers first up (most likely) dont worry coz its prolly one of the easiest topics!
good luck!!

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
i like 4u better than 3u...

maybe that would answer some questions

AFGHAN22

HSC
Is there anywhere I could go to for help if I am strugglin in 4 unit maths? By the way, I was wondering why so many people are scared of 4 unit maths? What does it actually involve. The main question is how is it different to 3 unit year 12 maths.

HSC
Even in 3unit I think its fair to say that the majority of the marks available are things that just require brainless practice and repetition. In 4unit not even half the marks are bookwork stuff, you have to think for yourself.

AFGHAN22

HSC
OMG What do u mean u have o think for yourself. I am doin great in 3 unit right now, because of constant repetition an revision. I never think outside the square. The answer just comes to me because I have one so many of them.

HSC
Sweet merciful crap 'Afghan', try READING what people say before you post replies

Last edited:

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Q1-6 of MX1 is usually bookwork and the main challenge comes in Q7.
However, in MX2 I've found that even Q3 or Q4 requires at least some thinking. Integration is generally the bookwork stuff + some of polynomials and complex numbers. Conics requires a fair degree of thinking at times, volumes can involve some thinking. Mechanics is probably the topic that requires the most thinking though (from what I've heard...I haven't started it yet).

AFGHAN22

HSC
to yrtherenonames

Watch what u wrte cuzz. Your messing with the wrong sort of person. Don't be racist, sarcastic, or call me any names if u know whats good for u.

Antwan23q

God
HSC
AFGHAN22 said:
Watch what u wrte cuzz. Your messing with the wrong sort of person. Don't be racist, sarcastic, or call me any names if u know whats good for u.
Oooh what a sick cunt, watch your back bro, one fone call and ur goone.
id be scared if i was you. ur messin with an afghan. i thought they blew that place up.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
antwan2bu said:
Oooh what a sick cunt, watch your back bro, one fone call and ur goone.
id be scared if i was you. ur messin with an afghan. i thought they blew that place up.
oh im sure he's scared, ur just another one of those 'aZn gAnGtA's'
Get over cultural stereotypes.

HSC
hehe settle people :p
'afhan', you didn't even have the good grace to actually read what I wrote before responding; am i really the bad guy here?! :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)