Herbal Supplements (1 Viewer)

alissa_xoxo

Share the Love.
HSC
Does anyone use any? Do they actually work?

Companies like Blackmores and Cenovis are making millions on selling these things.. but really, i'm quite skeptical as to their effectiveness. I have a Gingko Biloba one (for memory and concentration) and St. Johns Wort for Stress. I don't think they're working.

Discuss.

bEAbEA

HSC
I wanted to take the Gingko one for memory, but my doctor advised me against it. I still want to take it though, a guy at my school was taking them last year for his HSC, and he did really well!

get_born

a girl in my class takes this herbal tea with fish oil - it made her alot calmer about exams and she remembers more things - but i heard it doesnt work for everybody.

ecouch

HSC
i take a mutivitiman otherwise i am unbelievely tired because my diet=crap and i dont get enough of what i need (especially iron), plus i take evening primrose oil - which calms me down and makes me stress less but it also makes me a nicer person to be around because im not snappy (due to not being stressed). if there are any stressed ppl out there they i would highly recomend evening primrose oil OR the fish oil tablets, they are good as well, take it from me a real stress head they are good!!!! just have to keep taking them regularly and they help

Danni07

happy little vegemite
HSC
I've never tried the ginko biloba, but I'm thinking about buying it thisweek, because it can't hurt, right?
I also have to take a multi-vitamin because i have a hatred for vegetables and other food that is good for me. I also take a blackmores "executive B stress formula" which seems to have some effect. Also, I bought a spray "nervatona" which I honestly believe helped me through my trials and lowered my stress levels, but then again it could all be one big placebo.
Finally, for those nights when I can not sleep because I'm really stressed, I take a Valerian forte, which is a herbal relaxant that smells like feet. It works but.
Anyway, let me know how the ginko biloba works for you.

hYperTrOphY

HSC
I don't take any herbal supplements, although I do do take a variety of other supplements in addition to a very good diet. An optimal diet will help you perform better.

alissa_xoxo

Share the Love.
HSC
Danni07 said:
Anyway, let me know how the ginko biloba works for you.
I can't tell whether it does or not :S I guess that means it doesn't?

I don't know. I'll keep taking them though

tennille

HSC
bEAbEA said:
I wanted to take the Gingko one for memory, but my doctor advised me against it. I still want to take it though, a guy at my school was taking them last year for his HSC, and he did really well!

If you take it too often, it might eventually stop having an effect on your memory. If your doctor advised you not to take it, I'd listen to them.

alissa_xoxo

Share the Love.
HSC
I went to the GP today, asked her about it (it wasn't the reason i went lol) - she told me nothing i didn't know, they're BS.

I'll settle for a placebo effect though.

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
herbal supplements.. yes... i think i know what your talking about....*shifts eyes* smoking weed before exams is a tradition for me...

(im joking)

enamorada

HSC
Ginkgo Biloba!! its great..trust! i used it during my trials and i felt much calm and was able to concentrate really well..worked for me..

Smiddy

50% deaf...
HSC
i have a serious problems with nerves. Manly before i play sport. So i went to the herbalist and she gave me this rescue remidy stuff, cos i would get sick a week before compettition and vomit and have really bad abdomen cramps - my doctor thought i may have had apendisitis. anyway, i tried it for my trials and its really good, it just calms you down. its called rescue remidy.

HSC
I might try Ginkgo Biloba? its a pill right? I hate herbal tea :( I get really nervous night before even If im well prepared (except for chemistry only subjects i wasn't nervous for)

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
hmm haven't considered it due to that company putting shit in them- forgot the company name the company got sued or something..

bitchgirl

University Life
HSC
there was this drug for students who cant concentrate much with their study, its doctor perscribed pills, and it boosts your memory + study skills and motivate your brains to study more, and i heard something a while ago about that drug getting sold in school playgrounds illegally without being perscribed and it was all over the news and today tonight etc....

what that drug call?

alissa_xoxo

Share the Love.
HSC
Smiddy said:
i have a serious problems with nerves. Manly before i play sport. So i went to the herbalist and she gave me this rescue remidy stuff, cos i would get sick a week before compettition and vomit and have really bad abdomen cramps - my doctor thought i may have had apendisitis. anyway, i tried it for my trials and its really good, it just calms you down. its called rescue remidy.
Is this Bach's rescue remedy? I read about it somewhere. Can you buy it from the chemist?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
bitchgirl said:
there was this drug for students who cant concentrate much with their study, its doctor perscribed pills, and it boosts your memory + study skills and motivate your brains to study more, and i heard something a while ago about that drug getting sold in school playgrounds illegally without being perscribed and it was all over the news and today tonight etc....

what that drug call?
Dexamphetamines (brand name/types: Retalin).. for ADHD
60% of US med school hopefuls use it.. there is no record for aust uni students

can cause addiction

Last edited:

Smiddy

50% deaf...
HSC
alissa_xoxo said:
Is this Bach's rescue remedy? I read about it somewhere. Can you buy it from the chemist?

Yeah i brought mine from a herbalist, it was just called rescue remedy, but one of my friends also uses it and she got it from the chemist. ALthough she paid double the price for hers so yeah

toeknee

HSC
I only learnt of the effects of the drug when I watched Desperate Housewives lol anyone else? no? no? (But I know it must be grossly exaggerated)

"Dexamphetamines

The long term side effects of stimulant-type ADHD medications include increased heart rate and blood pressure, tremors, changes in mood, confusion, paranoia, hallucinations, delusions and irregular breathing but they all are extremely rare. "

Just in case anyone considered using them...

Last edited:

bitchgirl

University Life
HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
Dexamphetamines (brand name/types: Retalin).. for ADHD
60% of US med school hopefuls use it.. there is no record for aust uni students

can cause addiction

really in the u.s?? i thought alot of students in schools use it to boost their memory up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)