Here's a listing of language/visual techniques I compiled... (1 Viewer)

CHUDYMASTER

Master of Chudy 'n' Curry
HSC
For visuals, you can comment on...

1) body language (a downcast head to represent sadness or disappointment for example)

2) contrasts in colour - in more detail, you can comment on symbols, such as black or dark colours representing dark concepts such as sadness and white or bright colours representing joyful ideas.

3) juxtaposition (putting one image/object/concept next to another to convey a point, show contrasts or give a different meaning. Really nice word- markers seem to love it)

4) visual metaphors (like for example, a lack of, or shortening of time could be represented by the numbers on a clock becoming closer/ the movement of two people in different directions could represent differences of opinion/ideals)

For language techniques, you can comment on...

1) Changes in register (the level of speech) eg. colloquial to formal language.

2) Metaphor (comparing one idea to another to give a greater effect)

3) Extended metaphor - it's an analogy basically. For example, throughout a piece of text, an author may keep using a breaking boat to convey the idea of break in society. If you've read Lord of the Flies, the analogy used there was the conch, which represented order in society)

4) Symbols (just like in visuals, a lion could be used to represent bravery or nobility)

5) Other imagery such as similes, personification, etc are also common, but less powerful techniques to mention.

6) The perspective of narrative (1st, 2nd, 3rd person- for example, 1st person gives the text a personal touch, making the words more believable)

7) The use of narrative form itself sets up orientation, complication and resolution. Such a technique allows the composer of a text to explore the development of character personality/relationships, etc.

8) The journey. This is a technique used by text composers to show the development of a character from generally INNOCENCE to EXPERIENCE, which should be mentioned when talking about the character journey)

If there are any adjustments/corrections/additions I should make, do tell.

-CHUDYMASTER-

Last edited:

spice girl

magic mirror
TONE is v important. I've seen 1 or 2 change papers where they ask what the tone of this-or-that text is, and how it conveys change.

Visuals - u could mention angle (bird's-eye or worm's-eye)

Also, you have to link techniques to text type (e.g. news article - subheadings, captions, film - visual, audio, novel - plot structure, poem - rhyme scheme, enjambment, comic strip - facial expression, speech - rhetorical questions, use of 2nd-person)

And lastly, u need to know the effect of each technique. Just make anything up - draws responder attention, adds rhythm to leave a greater impression upon the responder, imply some sort of meaning (for symbols, metaphors), set tone (music, colour), parody/satire human error, etc.

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
It'd be pretty rare, but could context come into the questions? Ofr that matter, it comes into the audiences/purpose part which you might need to talk about.

CHUDYMASTER

HSC
Hmm...

Spice Girl,

By tone, do you just mean variations in colour?
Also, how do the angles of a visual convey messages?
(Forgive me, I'm only just starting the year 12 advanced english course so I did bypass some things)

Blackjack,

From what I understand, context isn't really likely to come up in 2 U advanced. The concept of "context" is more of an extension english concern from what I've done in the prelim course and what I'm about to do for our Retreat from the Global module for extension.

Although don't quote me on that and I think if you're studying an audience's response to a text, then context is an ESSENTIAL to discuss.

spice girl

magic mirror
Re: Hmm...

Originally posted by CHUDYMASTER
Spice Girl,

By tone, do you just mean variations in colour?
Also, how do the angles of a visual convey messages?
(Forgive me, I'm only just starting the year 12 advanced english course so I did bypass some things)
Tone: positive/negative, resisting/embracing, optimistic/pessimistic, general implied attitude of composer towards responder. In visuals, it may involve colour. E.g. The Door's tone is one of encouragement "Go and open..." beckons one to do something.

Angles: if you're looking up at someone's face, that someone seems more superior, in control, etc. When you're looking down at someone, they're looking up at you, and they're inferior, etc.

mastermind

Re: Hmm...

Blackjack,

From what I understand, context isn't really likely to come up in 2 U advanced. The concept of "context" is more of an extension english concern from what I've done in the prelim course and what I'm about to do for our Retreat from the Global module for extension.

Although don't quote me on that and I think if you're studying an audience's response to a text, then context is an ESSENTIAL to discuss.
Blackjack - context actually DOES come up in Advanced. Module A is all about text and context, so it is important that you know about context etc. Also, even if context is not explicitly mentioned in the question, if you want to score high for this module, then you need to write about it in your answer.

Last edited:

mastermind

BTW, thanks CHUDYMASTER and spice girl for the techniques info above - its a really good help...

CHUDYMASTER

HSC
Ohh...

Sorry about that, mastermind and blackjack. Well I couldn't have known, so I guess I shouldn't have commented, but then again, I DID SAY DON'T QUOTE ME ON THAT!!! ;)

And thanks Spice Girl, it wasn't apparent to me before because we haven't ever really studied a visual text in terms of angles, but it's a really good technique now that I think about it.

mastermind

Re: Ohh...

Sorry about that, mastermind and blackjack. Well I couldn't have known, so I guess I shouldn't have commented, but then again, I DID SAY DON'T QUOTE ME ON THAT!!! ;)
Oh, I totally understand. I just wanted to clarify it for blackjack, that's all...

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
Hmm... okay... I know a bit about the contexts in module A...
Huxley, 1930's.... end of depression... rise of fascism and the big, huge communist beyond the border (and therefore propaganda).... 'golden age' of the belief that science will unlock all mysteries... in conjunction liberalism (in religion)... Not to mention mass production and all the industry stuff...

Scott, 1992... bleak future? (now why...) Is there something important about the context of Bladerunner...? Oh yeah, let's say the rise of questions after the bubble of scientia-being-end-all-tism (sorry... I know of no latin) about humanity and nature... post-modernist? Concern about environmental destruction...*brain shutdown from overexertion*
Um, anyone know what "Do androids dream of electric sheep" is about?

mastermind

Originally posted by BlackJack
Hmm... okay... I know a bit about the contexts in module A...
Huxley, 1930's.... end of depression... rise of fascism and the big, huge communist beyond the border (and therefore propaganda).... 'golden age' of the belief that science will unlock all mysteries... in conjunction liberalism (in religion)... Not to mention mass production and all the industry stuff...

Scott, 1992... bleak future? (now why...) Is there something important about the context of Bladerunner...? Oh yeah, let's say the rise of questions after the bubble of scientia-being-end-all-tism (sorry... I know of no latin) about humanity and nature... post-modernist? Concern about environmental destruction...*brain shutdown from overexertion*
Um, anyone know what "Do androids dream of electric sheep" is about?
Yeah, I think (and hope...:D) that sort of knowledge about context is sufficient for this module. If anyone out there thinks that more detail is needed, then feel free to contribute....:D But that is basically what we have done this year for BNW/BR.

Also, I think BR Directors Cut was made in 1980s like 82 or sumthing, but correct me if im wrong.

For context of BR / Scott - bleak view of nature in BR represents/is because of fears of environmental destruction in the 80s. Power of science represents growing interest (???) in genetic engineering etc...BUT correct me if I'm wrong....

"Do androids..." is just basically what the film is based on - same sort of issues etc...you can mention it in passing, but don't worry about it too much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)