Hertz's experiment- production and reception of radiowaves (1 Viewer)

poopoohead

HSC
Hey, our class have an assessment task based on Hertz's experiment this week where we use a radio and induction coil to demonstrate the production and transmission of radio waves- we have to write up the prac, answer questions and i think do some calculations

I just have a few questions about it, if anyone could maybe help me with???

1. In what form is the energy transferred from the spark to the radio? In what manner must charges move to produce this energy?
  2. An induction coil is an example of a transformer. What can you infer about the voltage across the gap and the resulting charge movement observed at the spark? (not quite sure what this question is asking???)
  3. Can you detect any pattern in the static received at different wavelengths?
and also, i know Hertz had discovered the photelectric effect, but was it einstein who explained it? and how did he explain it?

thank you for helping me- it's much appreciated!

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
poopoohead said:
Hey, our class have an assessment task based on Hertz's experiment this week where we use a radio and induction coil to demonstrate the production and transmission of radio waves- we have to write up the prac, answer questions and i think do some calculations

I just have a few questions about it, if anyone could maybe help me with???
  1. In what form is the energy transferred from the spark to the radio? In what manner must charges move to produce this energy?
  2. An induction coil is an example of a transformer. What can you infer about the voltage across the gap and the resulting charge movement observed at the spark? (not quite sure what this question is asking???)
  3. Can you detect any pattern in the static received at different wavelengths?
and also, i know Hertz had discovered the photelectric effect, but was it einstein who explained it? and how did he explain it?

thank you for helping me- it's much appreciated!
1) transformed from the kinetic energy of the charged particles (moving up and down the coil) into electromagnetic energy that is detected to the radio. the charges must oscillate, or move back and forth across the gap to 'produce' this energy.
2) i dont know either...the transformer part has nothing to do with the direct question at all. all i can infer is that the greater the potential difference across the spark, the faster the charge movement is.
3) the longer the wavelength, the further away u can 'receive' the 'static' from the induction coil.

about einstein's discovery: the photoelectric effect was explained through a new model of what light is: light consisted of particles known as photons. each photon has its own frequency which determined how much energy that photon has. only those photons that have a frequency magnitude greater or equal to the threshold frequency will have the impact of allowing an electron to displace from the lattice.

my physics is rusty after 1/2 year. if anyone disagrees with any of the information posted here, please reply!

poopoohead, i hope this helps, M.D.

poopoohead

HSC
thanks Mountain Dew. Nah it all sounds good to me. thank you!:)

poopoohead

HSC
Mountain.Dew said:
3) the longer the wavelength, the further away u can 'receive' the 'static' from the induction coil.
hey, im a little confused?!

wouldnt a longer wavelength result in the wave being more penetrating becasue it has a higher frequency- thus will travel further. So it wouldn't it be the opposite- the smaller the wavelength the further you can receive the 'static'?

hang on- mayb not

i don't know. does it mean with a longer wavelength the wave travels further but it is less penetrating (so easily stopped by objects)???

can someone help me- anyone please.

???
???:confused:

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
okay, i use this equation: c= f *λ, f = frequency, λ = wavelength, c = speed of light <-- a constant.

this means that when u increase the wavelength, u decrease the frequency. and vice versa.

query: does it mean with a longer wavelength the wave travels further but it is less penetrating (so easily stopped by objects)???

answer: yeah that's right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)