hey anyone doing the ret test? (1 Viewer)

armenia

hey i was wondering if anyone is doing the ret test for uws? and if so could u plz tell me how long do we have to write in the writen english part? and also do use think it will be easy or hard? coz the samples they sent were pretty hard

Agnes

hi! :) im doing the ret test. you should always keep all doors open...

and the booklet they gave has all the info. it also says the written english exam is 1hr and you get 5mins reading time. i think there's going to be 2 things we have to write, not just one, so there won't be much time.

i dont know how hard it will be. i havent looked through the sample stuff yet! it will prolly be fairly hard, cos they have to cater for any geniuses who might decide they actually want to do this test.

Alex

Yeah, im doing it too. The ret is essentially the STAT test which is exactly the same as the SAT's which are equivalent to our HSC in America. Understand??

Anywayz, I have some relos from America who said that the samples are exactly the same (except the fact it is based on Australia) as their SAT's. Hopefully it won't be too hard and I feel with the english section its about showing your extended vocabulary as with their questions there really isn't a set theme we have studied that we must learn and use to base it on.

armenia

hey

hey i did the ret test it was alright i dont know about the multiple choices but the writen english was alright i maniged to write 2 and 3 pages on both i thought that was simple.. does anyone if it is just a pass and we get the 10 points or do they use another method of giving us the 10 points? also do we get to know our marks? thanx bye

armenia

omg

r u seriouse? but i heard that we naver find out our mark... say if we did get the result back then how do they use that marking in deciding who id given the 10 points or not ? what method do they use ?

Alex

the RET is short for Regional Entry Test and its for students who want to go to UWS and live in a regional area. If succesful applicant can get 10 marks off their entry cutoff.

UWS is my 9th preference :p

Amuka

I thought STAT was really easy actaully and i found the sample volume quiet hard, anyone have any idea what a good mark for the sample volume one was (the one where they didnt explain the answers)?

As for the results, you never actaully find out your score what you find out is what percentile you are they do it between 100-200 i.e if u get 105 u beat 4% of people if u get 175 u beat 74% of people. So i imagine you will either need to be in atleast a certain percentile for different courses or they could just give u flat the extra 10 UAI points for any course if u do well not sure.

btw anyone know about doing SATs im really interested in it as i love multi choice like STAT and a prof at USyd said Standford grads command $400k straight out of College !!!

Amuka

Hey man, nice board u got going here!

Stupid HSC been keeping me away from Ausfxp:(

T

tactic

i cant be bothered with it anymore.. use to be elite member.. had all the ftps etc.. and then came the cap!

so cant really download.. just pay 15$ go to a lan and get 50gb of shit :)

i would of thought eddie told you about the site before heh

Amuka

I know what u mean i was mod@aus, admin at another fxp board, dumps and all that shite b4 the cap now i cbf at all just use a few of the gifted elite a/cs and get my freinds to find me stuff if i need something (too lazy to drag my comp to a lan).

Eddie is a useless prick :)p ) he barely even comes to school to have a chance to mention it to me, another guy at my school mentioned this site the other day he said it was good so i checked it out.....

armenia

ummm i was just wondering do we get that % for the ret test in the mail...? or do we just get a pass saying u got the 10 points?

Amuka

As far as i understand it we get the percentile rank for STAT in the mail as for the actual operation of the RET, it is largely unknown to me. I have attempted to find out but have only found information relating to STAT.
Ok did a little more research and found this quote at http://www.uws.edu.au/students/admin/adm/Ret.html

When will I get my results?
In mid-November 2002, UAC will provide your STAT result and UWS will provide your RET result.
Which contradicts this quote from http://www.uac.edu.au/admin/stat.html#results
STAT results

UAC will send you a STAT result notice about three weeks after you sit the test/s. Results cannot be issued over the telephone or by email.

STAT results are reported as a scaled score between 100 and 200, and as a percentile rank. The percentile rank indicates the percentage of candidates who obtained a STAT score equal to or below your STAT score, and is calculated as a comparative score against all candidates who have sat the test since 1996.
and then this

Once you have satisfied these criteria, your RET result if higher than your UAI will be used during the 2003 UAC offer rounds.
Example: If the cut-off in 2002 for the course you wish to enrol in was 71, then your UAI must be at least 61. If your UAI is 60, then your RET cannot be used for that course.
If i had to guess i would say that your RET result will be out of a hundred because of the line "if higher than your UAI" which possibly means that the two results (UAI and RET) are directly comparable.

Because if your RET result was just a simple 'YES you have 10 extra points' or 'NO you dont' then it wouldnt really be possible to say if ur RET was indeed higher than ur UAI (though u still could but it would be indirectly)

So really what im saying is i have NFI how anything works actaully :D

Last edited:

armenia

hehehhehe thanx for all the information :) hope i get a good ret mark and i hope everyone else who did it gets a good mark alsso

Maria[YR12`02]

where did everyone do their RET exam? i did mine at UWS Bankstown... on sunday 15th of sept...

when and where did u guys do it??
:teacher: :graduate:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)