• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

hey anyone else doing imperial rome or is it just my school? (1 Viewer)

Johnny Corrupt

Yeah our school is doing Mostly Rome.
Agrippina the younger for the personality and Augustus to Titus for the Ancient Societies.

Also New Kingdom Egypt for the historical period.

-JC

narrator

HSC
N/A
we're doing Augustus to Titus for the society too, i don't know whay more ppl don't do it, if for nothin else it gives a historical perspective of the events after Shakespeares' Julius Caesar, which helps with the eng advanced course

Johnny Corrupt

Well i don't do Advanced english, i do nice and easy standard :D

I find doing the Julio claudians good as it overlaps with Agrippina and i find it easier to remember dates and relationships.

-JC

Wiggum

I'm doing all of your topics but i still haven't finished Agrippina just yet but you're definately not alone. A majority of the students who do ancient actually do at least one topic on Rome. So there's bound to be someone who does at least one topic on Rome that's the same as yours.

Wiggum

True, but i still think that it requires you to have a vastly extensive knowledge about your personality/society/historical period not just by reading different authors.

Harimau

You are not me, therefore you are irrelevant
HSC
Originally posted by Wiggum
True, but i still think that it requires you to have a vastly extensive knowledge about your personality/society/historical period not just by reading different authors.
But you get that extensive by reading the different authors. Say Wiggum, do you go to Sydney Boys?

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by Wiggum
Who are the best authors to read? I read 'Oxford History Of The Roman World', but not much of it was relevant.. Possibly that Tacitus character? (I was going to borrow The Annals next time I go to the library..)

Wiggum

Go through all the ancients, you need to know them back to front, then find some modern historians like R Symes and read what they say about the ancients. Then you gain info about both and you can use them to compare/contrast/whatever you want to do in an essay.

shelley

trouble maker
HSC
umm, its good to read barrett(modern), Boak (modern), bradley and hennessey (textbookish things), grant (modern) and in terms of ancients you really need to know suetonius (excuse my lowsy spelling), if you haven't read tacitus you need your head examined. Cassius Dio is another good one. For the julio claudians another good one is josephus! lol, theres lots more but there proberbly the most imporatant

Andronicus

"Possibly that Tacitus character"?

Not to insult you Gregor Samsa, but if you haven't read Tacitus, then you really don't have the info you need for the Imperial Rome topic. Look, I do Extension 1 History aswell as Ancient (and Modern) and we did Augustus & the Julio-Claudians, Imperial Rome and in Extension we did Tacitus the historian.

These 3 topics overlap perfectly, so it's like doing the same topic 3 times over from different perspectives - which is why they are so easy (plus Imperial Rome isn't even a bloody proper topic - it's so easy and basic, and not even an essay question in the HSC - it's short answer...)

My point: READ TACITUS, because if you haven't, then you are really disadvantaging yourself - he is the best ancient historian on the topic (better than Seutonius) - although, his chapter on Gaius is missing, as his writings on the execution of Sejanus by Tiberius... anyway...

The Michael Grant translation is good...

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by Andronicus
"Possibly that Tacitus character"?

Not to insult you Gregor Samsa, but if you haven't read Tacitus, then you really don't have the info you need for the Imperial Rome topic. Look, I do Extension 1 History aswell as Ancient (and Modern) and we did Augustus & the Julio-Claudians, Imperial Rome and in Extension we did Tacitus the historian.

These 3 topics overlap perfectly, so it's like doing the same topic 3 times over from different perspectives - which is why they are so easy (plus Imperial Rome isn't even a bloody proper topic - it's so easy and basic, and not even an essay question in the HSC - it's short answer...)

My point: READ TACITUS, because if you haven't, then you are really disadvantaging yourself - he is the best ancient historian on the topic (better than Seutonius) - although, his chapter on Gaius is missing, as his writings on the execution of Sejanus by Tiberius... anyway...

The Michael Grant translation is good...
Don't worry, I don't feel insulted. I plan to borrow 'The Annals' from the library later today anyways.. The most annoying thing of all was that my Ancient teacher tried discouraging me from reading it..Grr.. But nevertheless, better to read it late than never right? (I'm worried about my classmates then, who don't even know who Tacitus is. Ooops.)

As for the translation recommendation, thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)