Hey does anyone know where i can find the test? (1 Viewer)

Mathematician

Also why did they have to start making physics easier than before , even though i might find it hard when i do it.
Because i want scaling from it lol.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
The Board will put it online sometime over the next few weeks.

Scaling has nothing to do with the difficulty of the course.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Mathematician.....if u are a solely a true mathematician, u will most likely struggle in Physics...coz it aint maths....(but I cant say how well/not well u will do, coz u might be good at english too)

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by MinAi
Mathematician.....if u are a solely a true mathematician, u will most likely struggle in Physics...coz it aint maths....(but I cant say how well/not well u will do, coz u might be good at english too)

I agree, being a mathsy person myself, and having done the HSC this year, physics definately is more english now and beinng able to write concisely according to the marking criteria.

People who aren't good at maths can do very well at physics (they are even given bloody formulae sheets). It's sad that physics and chemistry have gone down the road of english when they always were more maths orientated. Science just isn't science anymore, it's about memory.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
As a sidenote, university physics is VERY maths oriented. It's not at all like HSC physics.

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by Lazarus
As a sidenote, university physics is VERY maths oriented. It's not at all like HSC physics.
Then why has physics changed to being more english orientated? People who are good at HSC physics could easily be misleaded into thinking they are good at Uni physics which as you say is very maths orientated.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Ultimate

Then why has physics changed to being more english orientated? People who are good at HSC physics could easily be misleaded into thinking they are good at Uni physics which as you say is very maths orientated.
its a conspiracy ... to stop asians who cant speak english from getting a uai of 99+ ... cos under the old system ... people who could not write or speak english still pulled 99+ through scaling and doing subjects like 4 unit maths, physics, chemistry ... then fail english and still appear smart ...

to those who will argue there is no conspiracy ... and say its all just coincidence ... yeah right ...

the changing of the physics course ... as well as the inclusion of 2 compulsory units ... signals that in australia english must be taught and master (or as well as possible) ... which in my opinion is very fair ... especially knowing now that asians who cant speak english wont be able to beat me ...

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by flyin'

its a conspiracy ... to stop asians who cant speak english from getting a uai of 99+ ... cos under the old system ... people who could not write or speak english still pulled 99+ through scaling and doing subjects like 4 unit maths, physics, chemistry ... then fail english and still appear smart ...

to those who will argue there is no conspiracy ... and say its all just coincidence ... yeah right ...

the changing of the physics course ... as well as the inclusion of 2 compulsory units ... signals that in australia english must be taught and master (or as well as possible) ... which in my opinion is very fair ... especially knowing now that asians who cant speak english wont be able to beat me ...

Yeah every change has a reason, and obviously there is a reason why the BOS changed the physics syllabus. I guess they have succeeded in preventing asians who have troubles expressing themselves in english particularly with their emphasis on key words in the new HSC syllabuses

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Ultimate

Yeah every change has a reason, and obviously there is a reason why the BOS changed the physics syllabus. I guess they have succeeded in preventing asians who have troubles expressing themselves in english particularly with their emphasis on key words in the new HSC syllabuses
but in my opinion - a beneficial change ... i want to know that my doctors can speak english ... i want to see people being able to communicate without difficulty ... and considering we are in an english speaking country ... good on them ...

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
I reckon the reason why physics has become english-ised is because they want more people to undertake the course, i.e. those who aren't good at maths, and the BOS has succeeded in doing that.

However physics has always been maths based and should have stayed that way. We get tested on english in the subject english, and we shouldn't be tested on it in other subjects like physics.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
You're not tested on english in physics - you're tested on your understanding of physical concepts.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
jessika ... yes everyone in new south wales to be specific ...

ultimate ... youre right and furthermore the board intented for non-able math students to take the subject as many perceived in the past that it was a course for maths-able students only ...

lazarus ... that was more true for this years hsc ... last years paper was really wrong and one could more easily have bs-ed and stilled pulled something off ...

jessika

law chicky
HSC
Originally posted by flyin'
jessika ... yes everyone in new south wales to be specific ...

okay, Im not going to start some big argument over it. But theres a little thing called freedom of speech (which incorporates the right to talk in your own language).
Having said that though, I do understand where you coming from.

Last edited:

Jripper

I think its really unfair and we are creating a gap between university physics and high school physics....
some of the things we learn are absolutely useless/....things about re-entry and space launch.....how many people is going to go up into space/.....there is alot of good physics they can put in this course...

and they haven't had a problem with enrolment in doing physics....I mean it is suppose to be a subject that is diffcult...I still think it is....but it just makes people from NON-ENGLISH SPEAKING BACKGROUND not Asians....a little bit harder

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by jessika

okay, Im not going to start some big argument over it. But theres a little thing called freedom of speech (which incorporates the right to talk in your own language).
Having said that though, I do understand where you coming from.
freedom of speech does include the right to speak your own language ... but since english the predominant language in australia it should be taught and learnt ... speaking your own language is fine as long as others do not feel left out or uncomfortable ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)