hey female pharmacy assistants!! (1 Viewer)

alexmartinek

HSC
does anyone else work as a junior pharmacy assistant?

how much do you earn an hour?

danz90

HSC
alexmartinek said:

do you need any work/pharmacy experience for this kind of job?
I'd reckon u do..

nchoy

HSC
alexmartinek said:

I do work in a pharmacy every now and then. Depending on your age & experience, I think it would be between $10 to$15 per hour.

alexmartinek

HSC
for a junior pharmacy assistant you require no experience because you learn everything on the job

i earn 10 an hour plus allowances which is pretty good

lala2

Banned
HSC
I would think males and females get paid the same re: the title :) Depends on your age and whether you're a pharmacy student or not.

nchoy

HSC
lala2 said:
I would think males and females get paid the same re: the title :) Depends on your age and whether you're a pharmacy student or not.
Does it really make any difference if u are a pharmacy student? ( I meant the pay )

lala2

Banned
HSC
Yes, you get paid more. First year pharmacy student is $14/hr regardless of age.

nessarhino

HSC
I work casually as a pharmacy assistant however I only got the job because I was working there for a week on work experience. I'm only in Year 11 so I guess my wage isn't accurate.
Basically, it is a bit higher than retail wages however that also depends on the individual pharmacy. It also depends what products you are allowed to sell.
For example, some pharmacy only medicines require you to ask a few questions and that will probably increase your wage rather than just scanning things and selling customers products.
All in all, I believe the average is $10-$15 an hour for an assistant - give or take a few considering your age, skills, experience and knowledge. It also depends on where you work and how much they are willing to pay you as most pharmacy's are privately owned and are not apart of a franchise.

Edit:
I just read Yulia's post.
Just confirming that my information is only coming from word of mouth from other pharmacy employed students. I also mentioned "however it also depends on the individual pharmacy". I have stated this because I know that my pharmacy and a few others that acquaintances are employed at, receive higher wages than our retail counterparts. However this varies like I have stated.

Last edited:

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
you get paid shit all. i worked in pharmacies up until i was 19, at that age i was getting $14.67, such a rort.

yes it makes a complete difference if you're a pharmacy student.

and it makes a difference if you have experience because if you have your certificates your rate goes up.

and where did you get your information nessarhino that pharmacy rates are higher than most retail? you'll find that it's lower than a lot of retail - pharmacy have their own award rates that differ to regular retail, and they don't have to give you loadings for working weekends or public holidays.

as for selling customer pharmacy only medicines increasing your pay, that only happens if you have certificates, but what kind of pharmacy are you working at that doesn't have you trained to ask the questions required for pharmacy medicines? regardless of if you spend most of your shifts only scanning the items, the QCCP means that you should be trained to know what vital questions you should be asking anyways. i'd love to have your pharmacy mystery shopped.

anyways alexmartinek, looking at your age, you'd be expecting around $11 an hour.

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
alexmartinek said:
for a junior pharmacy assistant you require no experience because you learn everything on the job

i earn 10 an hour plus allowances which is pretty good
How old do you have to be for a junior assistant, because when i rang up they were looking for ppl under 16 with training provided?
also they said they wanted full time, not ppl who went to uni...

What do they mean by full time position?
is there anyway i can become a junior pharm assistant, i havent had any work experience yet

alexmartinek

HSC
my role as a pharm assistant is to do these things....

1. take prescriptions (i cant legally dispense medications)
2. serve customers
3. listen to customer enquiries, help if i can...if i cant - refer to pharmicist in charge
4. clean the shop - shelving/vacuming and general tidying
5. restock shelves with top ups
6. ask the correct questions to ensure the customer gets the product that is best for them - n.b specific procedures must be followed for certain medicines

your employer (if you have no training in pharmaceuticals) should not expect you to know everything about this industry.
pharmacy is a proffession where the ability to provide comprehensive service is directly prediposed by the level of knowledge the assistant has....if this knowlegde is limited, your employer/pharmacist would expect you to refer the customer to them.

despite this assertion, i think it is paramount that employers in the pharmaceutical industry provide adequate induction training for their junior staff members.

the age for a junior pharmacy assistant can vary depending on what the employer requires and the impression you leave on them when first applying ie. interveiw, introduction or resume

Last edited:

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
......"provide adequate induction training" it's called QCCP. And you all have to do it, no matter how much knowledge you are expected to know.

I worked in pharmacy for well over 6 years, you will have to do the QCCP training, the meetings, the workbook, and get your certificate, and if you don't - then your employer doesn't intend to keep you for very long.

alexmartinek

HSC
lol i know what QCCP is..... ive been working at a pharmacy for 2 years now, and i only just started the induction training

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)