• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Hey relax, and stick with it. (1 Viewer)

blackman

The only way to achieve a high level of knowledge in BIOLOGY is to revise over what you have done. And the best thing to do is get your hands on both the biology excel and macquarie revision books as they are a great help if your confused about a topic. And especially come in handy for assessments, as they can give you the run down on what you are being asked by your teacher, because remenber the teacher can only give you assessments and tests on whats in the syllabus. And some teachers may not be able to teach all aspects of the subject thoroughly due to time restrictions, so its best for you revise over what aspect you do not properly understand using the Macqurie excel book. This technique does work especially if you stick to it all year.

I went from being at the bottom end of the class to the top sector due to sticking to this technique of revision and carefully following the syllabus guide, which will ensure you achieve high marks. Thanks to this I achieved a biology HSC mark of 84 from a semester two examination mark of 58. ow do you think it works. Please your only helping yourself by following this advise.

lala2

Banned
HSC
thank you very much...this should be stickied. Anyway, how many times did you revise your outcomes in total? e.g. the afternoon after school, in preparation before and revising it a few months later, just before trials and HSC, etc.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I started writing my notes in about term 2 (around June) and then from the end of term 2 to the HSC time i just revised them over and over again

elisabeth

HSC
acmilan said:
I started writing my notes in about term 2 (around June) and then from the end of term 2 to the HSC time i just revised them over and over again
How often? Did you always read over EVERYTHING you'd written? Was it every few days/weekly/monthly...?

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Every few days id say, mainly i went through past papers and consulted my notes for answers

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
This has probably been said many times, but to suceed in biology you must:
Pay attention in class and not be afraid to ask questions when you don't understand something.
Write syllabus dot point summaries as you learn each dot point in class write a short, direct summary of that point.
Do past exams and especially concentrate on how to answer each verb. Many students with a sound biological knowledge fall down on the 5-8 mark questions because they simply cannot answer them properly.

I myself probably would have done better if I had done more of the final point. My advice would be to buy success one and work through that, but don't rely on their answers too heavily because sometimes they're a bit dodgy.

Last edited:

Mege

i reckon stickin to the syllabus dot points for notes is the best way to go coz they can only examine wats in the syllabus. can't they?!?!?!

Jessisbored

HSC
yep kimmeh is definately correct about knowing the language, aussie scientists and pracs. I also did as many exams as i could before the hsc. I purposely saved some that i didnt look at for the hsc especially. rather than going through them all by the trails. I also bought the success one booklet, answering all the multiple choice questions 3 times and the ones which i found difficult..exposing all the possible questions which could be asked. I ended up with 92 in the exam, was very happy

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
withoutaface has nailed it ^^^

that aside.. who here would like to see a short sticky about how to write notes.. (summary ones); because i've had a few PM's asking me about it....

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
m_e_g said:
i reckon stickin to the syllabus dot points for notes is the best way to go coz they can only examine wats in the syllabus. can't they?!?!?!
Yes but they can examine it in different ways, and that's where past exams come in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)