Heya, should I be worried? (1 Viewer)

Nuclear

HSC
Hey guys, this term is now my first term of year 12.

In year 10, I was full stressing about the SC< I was doing crap in everything, failing and stuff and I didnt get one mark under 72% for that, which I was jubilant about.

Anyway, this year 12, I'm starting to worry about the HSC, I suck at studying and I get behind in class, but catch up quite quickly.

I've been thinking, say I get the same marks for the HSC, that's what, a 70 UAI? I got 72, 75, 78, 82 and 85

Also, the people in my year are really smart, which means I get scaled up.

I also Do Advanced Maths and Advanced English, and SDD, which all scale me up (SDD Scales HEAPS) ... So should I really be that worried? Because I don't even know what I want to do, so if I get 75+ I'd be really happy, :)

If you think I need to study, and tips on how? I've looked around and only found a cramming guide.

Help is much appreciated!

Thank you!

Terlob

HSC
Nuclear said:
Also, the people in my year are really smart, which means I get scaled up.
I'm fairly sure thats wrong.

Put in the work and get the results is all I'll say

Nuclear

HSC
It's hard, coz I'm a procrastinator.

And what I meant was, if your class does well in the HSC, it helps your marks up.

proringz

HSC
SDD doesn't scales 'HEAPS', in fact, it does not scale at all. (Taken straight from UAC Scaling report 2007). I took it in Preliminary, and I do admit, it should be scaled higher than it is. It's got some pretty hard concepts to grasp, and takes quite a bit to get your head around them.

Nuclear said:

And what I meant was, if your class does well in the HSC, it helps your marks up.
If your class does well and you do crap. Then you still get crap. Just because they are smart and get good marks, it doesn't mean you will get 'scaled up' and get good marks too. You gotta put in the hard yards and make an effort.

Last edited:

Nuclear

HSC
You serious? I'm taking the HSC course. My teacher told me that it's worth alot. If you get like a decent mark, you get a fair bit added to your UAI

proringz

HSC
Nuclear said:
You serious? I'm taking the HSC course. My teacher told me that it's worth alot. If you get like a decent mark, you get a fair bit added to your UAI
Yeah, SDD isn't scaled up or down according to last years scaling report. If you get a decent mark in any subject it'll count, don't worry, just put in a little effort and you'll get the mark you'll deserve in the end.

Nuclear

HSC
That's so gay. I'm 4 weeks into it and it's hard -_-

iEdd

HSC
In a relative sense, it still scales BETTER than many subjects. Many scale down.

Nuclear

HSC
I just realised I posted this in the wrong section ^^

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
Other thing is marks in school certificate won't be the same as marks in HSC... like really, it's highly unlikely.

I'd be absolutely set if they did though. [I WISH I WISH I WISH!]

zxcvbee

HSC
N/A
you'll do fine if you HONESTLY put the effort in and work hard for the things that matter.
But you mustttt stay healthy, exercise and enjoy these 2 years. dont go into hibanation like myself... lol it will SRSLY burn you out by the time you get to your final exams and your just OVER it.

Balance you need balance! go out eveytime you get a good mark to celebrate, sleep well, and dont leave shit till last minute. useeeeeee your teachers to the bone whenever you dont understand something or want to improve on something. oh and dont worry! trust in youself and it will be fine

all the best

michael1990

HSC
Nuclear said:

Wrong.
Totally wrong.

If the entire cohort does well it will scale your high marks down.
You need to think of it as a whole state thing. Not just in the basis of your school cohort.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
Nuclear said:
Pretty much everything scales down apart from maths extension 2.

Maybe your teacher was talking about alignment. If you get a good RAW mark, it will be ALIGNED up, but then still SCALE down

Last edited:

Knowingnothing

Legendary!
HSC
Every man for themselves. Don't rely on other people in your year. Depending on overall marks / subjects and your placement within that, you could end up anywhere.

And SDD is probably one of the lower end subjects you can do. But nonetheless, keep trying.

mleiu

HSC
WTH if people around you do good, it has nothing to do with you. That is, assuming you don't do good, then that has everything to do with you because that would put you below average.

Put in the yards.

BabyK

HSC
to the OP if you're aiming for a 70-80 UAI- make sure 3 of your "worse" subjects are in the 70's, say 75, and have 2 of your stronger subjects band 5/6, one at least must be a band 6 however and try to make it a higer scaling 1 say advanced english...either way however English should be one of the top 1s cos its compulsory...gd luck :)

EDIT: sorry i reread and you say you are doing adv maths and english. concentrate on those 2 being your top subjects and you will be really really well off :) also i don't think it would be a 70 UAI with those marks, if the ones in the 80's are adv English and math the uai would be probably a low 80

Last edited:

iEdd

HSC
You don't need a band 6 to get a 70 UAI, no matter how crap your subjects are. Get about 75 in everything and you will get around 70-75 UAI (play around with SAM). That's pretty piss easy as for some subjects that's a raw exam mark of 50-60.

omgd.

HSC
N/A
proringz said:
Yeah, SDD isn't scaled up or down according to last years scaling report. If you get a decent mark in any subject it'll count, don't worry, just put in a little effort and you'll get the mark you'll deserve in the end.
could i get the link for that scaling report please ?
ive been looking for it for agess -_-"
sorry if its already been mentioned
i didnt read the whole thread =$

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)