Hi, everybody. I'm new to ANU (1 Viewer)

Byronlord

HSC
Hi, I will enrol in ANU the 2 semester. I will do the BSc degree. But I really worried about the mark at ANU and I'm not confident about my essay writing(coz I'm from a non-English country). Is there any one who also do Science Degree can help me? I really want to know the mark criteria at ANU. Is different level course have different level criteria? I mean do MATH1013/1014 and MATH1115/1116 have different HD and D proportion? Which means MATH1115 will be more HD and D than MATH 1013?

Coz I really want to transfer to PhB degree which means I should get higher mark. But I'm really not sure it's hard or not...

Thank you everyone~

J

joshualee

Hello I am new to ANU as well transferred from Stanford. I advise you not to worry because there is no point to worry about even before you start studying at University. If you did well at your high school, believe in yourself and endeavour to make your dream come true.

I have also studied English at non - English speaking country when I was a high school student though my external circumstances (e.g friends all have studied abroad before so they told me about the culture, language, vernacular etc.) predisposed me to study at English-speaking country but if you do your best there is nothing impossible especially if you are Asian (assiduous people every Asian at Stanford all managed to get the high mark don't worry)

But if you are still worried about the University life, how about studying before you go ? if MATH is your problem I suggest you to study probability, permutation, combination, limit, conic, everything that you did at high school years (Ebbinghaus(?) theory - you forget!)

about the marking criteria I see no point of knowing it acutally knowing those trivial information makes you even more frightened.

Byronlord

HSC
Hello I am new to ANU as well transferred from Stanford. I advise you not to worry because there is no point to worry about even before you start studying at University. If you did well at your high school, believe in yourself and endeavour to make your dream come true.

I have also studied English at non - English speaking country when I was a high school student though my external circumstances (e.g friends all have studied abroad before so they told me about the culture, language, vernacular etc.) predisposed me to study at English-speaking country but if you do your best there is nothing impossible especially if you are Asian (assiduous people every Asian at Stanford all managed to get the high mark don't worry)

But if you are still worried about the University life, how about studying before you go ? if MATH is your problem I suggest you to study probability, permutation, combination, limit, conic, everything that you did at high school years (Ebbinghaus(?) theory - you forget!)

about the marking criteria I see no point of knowing it acutally knowing those trivial information makes you even more frightened.
Thank you very much~ Do you have MSN or something that we can chat? I really want to know you~ Haha~

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
Welcome to ANU :)

As Joshua said don't worry too much about any of this - there's support services available here that can help you with whatever problems you're having. You will need to have reasonable English skills, but of course if ANU has offered you a place you'll have already passed the tests for that. The Academic Skills and Learning Centre can help you when it comes to essay writing, and if you're moving into a Hall/College there will be people there who can help you as well.

As for your question on marks, generally ANU does not do 'bell-curve' scaling - the proportions of HDs and Ds are not set. The Honours Pathway courses like MATH1115/1116 will obviously have more difficult assessments than their regular counterparts. If you did well in higher level maths courses in high school, then MATH1115 should be no problem if you put in the effort.

J

joshualee

Well. My degree (Law) has a bell-curve... that what i've heard... T.T

Byronlord

HSC
Thank you guys. I will move to Bruce Hall in July~ Where do you live?

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
Thank you guys. I will move to Bruce Hall in July~ Where do you live?
I'm at Ursula Hall (aka Ursies) myself. Bruce and Ursies are the best colleges in terms of academic performance, so I'm sure there'll be plenty of people who can help you with any issues.

Have you actually received your offer for Bruce yet? I wasn't aware that Semester 2 offers have been sent out.

Byronlord

HSC
Not yet. They sain they will notice me at the middle of June. Hope to see you soon dude.

Sammy-Blue

HSC
Marks are not intentionally scaled to a bell curve, it's just not entirely unreasonable to expect marks to generally take that shape.

/hijack

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)