hi, I'm after text books for "Network and Systems Management" (1 Viewer)

Newton23

HSC
Hi,

I'm after the text books and any tutorial notes for "Bachelor of Information & Communcation Technology (Network and Systems Management)" to be studies at UOW 2007..

CSCI102 Systems
CSCI103 Algorithms and Problem Solving
CSCI114 Procedural Programming
CSCI124 Object Programming
STAT131 Understanding Variation and Uncertainty
ECTE182 Internet Technology I

I've posted here as I thought I'd be a chance of a 2nd or 3rd year student browsing...

newton@austech.tv

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Books tend to be updated every year (it's a scam run by authors, who coincidently also are lecturers, to update books every year making the 2nd hand bookmarket useless and allowing them to make more money as kids are forced to buy the new 'updated' book every year).

Scanorama

HSC
Newton23 said:
Hi,

I'm after the text books and any tutorial notes for "Bachelor of Information & Communcation Technology (Network and Systems Management)" to be studies at UOW 2007..

CSCI102 Systems
CSCI103 Algorithms and Problem Solving
CSCI114 Procedural Programming
CSCI124 Object Programming
STAT131 Understanding Variation and Uncertainty
ECTE182 Internet Technology I

I've posted here as I thought I'd be a chance of a 2nd or 3rd year student browsing...

newton@austech.tv
CSCI102: You don't need a text book for this course (if there is one), lecture notes are incredibly sufficient to get good marks.

CSCI103: When I did it, things were different. The custom textbook by compiled by Anne Fuller was a piece of crap.

CSCI114: Name of the textbook: C++ Programming: Program Design Including Data Structures by Malik. It costs around $100. It's pretty useful for a textbook and I used it in CSCI124 and CSCI204.

CSCI124: No textbook for this course.

STAT131: Don't bother getting the textbook, it costs around $100 and you won't need it. Just get the lab manual ($45), copy all the answers from WebCT, make sure you understand what they mean, then you are set to get at least a D. :)

ECTE182: Sorry can't help you with this one, didn't do this subject.

Overall: If you are doing an IT degree, chances are you won't need most of the textbooks. It's best not to get them in the first week, wait around to see if you really need it. Hope this helps.

Btw, Welcome to UOW, Faculty of Informatics and School of Information Technology and Computer Science - a perfect combination of chaos :D

Newton23

HSC
thanks heaps, I'll take on board the advice about not buying in the first week or two. I'm so looking foreward to the first couple of weeks at uni ..... no waiting for me, early entry :)

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
CSCI102 - No textbooks.
CSCI103 - When I did it, it was completely different. We had a textbook but it was useless.
CSCI114 - A textbook is prescribed... but you're learning basic C++, use the Internet for goodness sake. You are an IT student, after all.
CSCI124 - No longer called Object Programming, it should be a cinch.
STAT131 - You'll pick up a workbook, it's really necessary, but other than that use lecture notes. Ensure you put in past exam papers and solutions. You'll probably bring this into the test, and trust me, they're lazy in setting examinations. :)

Newton23 said:
thanks heaps, I'll take on board the advice about not buying in the first week or two. I'm so looking foreward to the first couple of weeks at uni ..... no waiting for me, early entry :)
I wonder if we'll see you eating those words. ;)

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
poloktim said:
I wonder if we'll see you eating those words. ;)
haha... yeah, give it a semester of naiveity.

Kebabci Oglu

Professional member
HSC
Hey im gonna do the same degree information and communication tech, do we have to know the basics of IT from yr 12 IT courses, because i have not done any IT courses before?

HSC
Essentially what everybody said - although I did do CSCI103 this year - there is a prescribe text book, but was never refered to in lectures - don't bother with it. Also nearly positive that ECTE has no text book

A good rule of the thumb is not to get a text book until the lecturer has told you to get in and the lecturer has refered to the text book in class and told you to look stuff up in it

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Definitely don't buy textbooks until your go to the first lecture and find out if you actually need it. My first year I bought textbooks that I never even opened. Even now I only really use them when it comes to exams.

Lecture notes are usually pretty comprehensive so you shouldn't buy textbooks unless you really really need them or want to get all HD's.

Scanorama

HSC
Oh I forgot to mention - In the event you do need the textbook, you can always go to the library to borrow one, at least one copy of the book can be found in the library. You will probably use 10% max of the book.

From my experience of Computer Science, you don't need a textbook, some lecturers even discourage buying textbooks.

sando

HSC IS EVIL
HSC
far out. u have only just got ur uai back. its holidays. relax

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)