• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

HID lights (1 Viewer)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for that advice guys- I think I'll just stick to the $40 HIL from autojoy... they were either Japanese or Korean (judging by the writing; didn't actually read it yet).

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
(Bump)

Quick Q... I remember you buy them in pairs so does this mean I should buy one pair and replace only two (of the four) bulbs in my car? I wonder which ones to replace....

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Replace the High beam ones. Oh and btw, the cheap jap shit you buy from those motoquip style stores, are pretty bad. Just try driving in the rain with them :p

Just buy a proper HID kit or stick with stock lights.

Breaking is just referring to the colour temperature of the lights. It's so high, it looks like they are changing colour when the go over bumps etc. The gaseous electrons are being excited to higher and higher energy levels.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Qlimax said:
wow, you really do sound n00b at his..
I think xenon lights ARE illegal (okay i can be noob on the question)
but yes.. definately HID lights on the honda odd... a light conversion would settle you 2k at a honda dealer, but could be much cheaper after market.

I must admit, HID lights are too bright and blind people (especially if they drive really close up your arse).. they should also make this illegal.

incase they do.. grab yourself a brighter bulb.. A local mechanic should be able to do this for you.. these bulbs range from 8 dollars to i dont know.. 100 dollars? remember you get what you pay for.. avoid dodgey china ones. get ones made in korea or europe if possible.. my friend got his made in germany and it settled him about 40 bux for the pair.

nice white lights, and much brighter than stock.. but due to the fact that these bulbs are much more brighter.. their life on these bulbs are no where near as good as your stock ones..

keep your stock ones if you are scared of your bulbs blowing, as every light bulb uses different voltage to power them up. more power = less life in most cases.

seriously.. if you want quality.. look for one that has a warranty.. DUH!?
LOL..

Also.. another note on your HID.. my friends s2k comes with HID lights, HID produces very high heat... this high heat may damage paint..

the honda odessey should be okay due to the fact that it's designed with it.. well not too sure on this point.. but yeah.. my friends s2k, the plastic right underneath the bulb kinda melted a bit.. so yeah... seriously.. they only look good..

but meh.. cost you a fortune if you find someone who dislikes you and decides to bust a HID bulb!!.. oh noes!!

Xenon lights aren't illegal. And you are correct about the high temperature bit, that's why cars with xenon lights have glass lens' for the head lights. Or quality cars like mercs and bmws have glass lens' anyway.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
sikeveo said:
Replace the High beam ones. Oh and btw, the cheap jap shit you buy from those motoquip style stores, are pretty bad. Just try driving in the rain with them :p

Just buy a proper HID kit or stick with stock lights.

Breaking is just referring to the colour temperature of the lights. It's so high, it looks like they are changing colour when the go over bumps etc. The gaseous electrons are being excited to higher and higher energy levels.
How shit are we talking? I (being the shallow person I am) just want something a little bit brighter than stock, and something which'll look nice... how much should I be expecting to spend? I'd like to keep it under $100 for the pair.

Qlimax

HSC
sikeveo said:
Xenon lights aren't illegal. And you are correct about the high temperature bit, that's why cars with xenon lights have glass lens' for the head lights. Or quality cars like mercs and bmws have glass lens' anyway.
It's so stupid not to make HID/Xenon illegal, seroiusly, they blind the drivers in the front so much.

Anyway.. i found out it wasn't illegal when I was checking up the specs on the RX8
they come optional with Xenons

HID lights should heat up more than xenons.. because xenons are a mix of fuel + electricity to generate the powerful light
with HID, it's just a high voltage creating that beam which SHOULD cause it to heat up more than xenons (correct me if I am wrong).

but yeah.. HIL bulbs just as good..
I think buying on ebay is cheaper too..

¬_¬

HSC
I'm not too keen on buying off eBay- would rather buy from a shop if possible (even if it's gonna cost me $10-15 more)... but that just comes down to personal preference. I've had mixed experiences buying online- not that the products didn't arrive, but rather, the quality was just crap and at the time, I didn't know better.

As for Xenon... they always show them in the Benz advertisements (I remember at the bottom of the advertisement it'd say "Optional xenon lights featured")- so they can't be illegal.

Btw what are the three lighting stages called?
There's "low beam", the first notch; but what is the second notch called (ie. the one you drive with at night)? Then there's also the one where you pull back on the indicator stalk to get a really bright light? Which one is called "high beam"?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)