• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Hidden Discrimination in hiring employees (2 Viewers)

lexie85

HSC
scarybunny said:
Is there some secret white population in Auburn that I don't know about?

Because I'd expect a chain restaurant there to have few/no white people, same as a chain in Cabramatta or Bankstown.
dont think you've ever been to bankstown because it is mostly white people, not to say you wont notice the other non-white peoples

mariyamo

VIP
HSC
housemouse said:
The oporto at auburn has not a single white person working in there

It is sad that some employers are still discriminating applicants with potential because of their name, background, race or religion. Hmmm, maybe that’s why I didn’t have a job yet!

Auburn is a very tolerant area because it is full of people from different cultures. There are also white people who live here. About Auburn Oportos not having white people, that must be coincidence, it doesn't mean they don't employ white people. Auburn employers are not racist and employ people from diverse backgrounds even if your name sounds different. There are white people in Auburn who have jobs also.

It’s too bad that some people from different suburbs/employers are still discriminating. I learnt Australian history at school and not to discriminate. It’s too bad that some people don't accept others.

ybnormal

The depths of my mind are the safest places
HSC
just adding, people also have trouble with my name. and they speak slowly. causes me to twitch. im australian, my parents are australian. we have a last name form england. yet, we get picked out for special screening at airports an awful lot, and people are always asking me where i am from.

newaz, i shall add to the rant :) and i shall add something else, why the hell cant certian teachers make an effort to learn your name!

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Dingo2004 said:
hi there...

i would just like to shed some light to the hidden demographical discrimination during the applicant searching process for a certain company located in the CBD of sydney..

i have a friend, who works for a company which im not gonna name.

The company had an Accountant position vacant.

He told me that the first thing they do is look at the names of the applicants..
Now if they were not from a certain background or from a certain background, they just throw them out and disregard them.

Then the next thing they do is look at the suburbs the applicants live in. If you lived in suburbs that were labeled as cheap or crime hotspots.. then they also throw your resume out..

and after that process, is when they start to look at experience and qualifications from the remaining resumes.

its dissapointing to see people doing that, however its a reality many people often do not discuss..
Not saying you're lying, but there is a slight chance that your friend is bullshitting. If the company really does have that procedure, why would they share it with a lowly employee. How does he get to sit in during the recruitment process? Furthermore, if it's a larger company chances are recruitment is done via outsourcing, through a recruitment agency. If it's in-house, then his HR manager would screen applicants. I have no idea how he would know the HR manager's procedures.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
AntiHyper said:
I notice asian shops are a lot more 'racist' when picking their employees. I've never (epically rarely) seen a white person working in their shops let alone a black person.

It's probably the reckoning that a worker of the same background will go along a lot better. This can be hypothetically true in say, a white chick trying to get a job in a kebab store.
Asian shops are usually family owned with family friends hired. That aside, the majority of customers for asian shops, grocers and resturaunts are in fact asian. Having someone who can speak the same language is appropriate.

roadcone

HSC
Dingo2004 said:
hi there...

i would just like to shed some light to the hidden demographical discrimination during the applicant searching process for a certain company located in the CBD of sydney..

i have a friend, who works for a company which im not gonna name.

The company had an Accountant position vacant.

He told me that the first thing they do is look at the names of the applicants..
Now if they were not from a certain background or from a certain background, they just throw them out and disregard them.

Then the next thing they do is look at the suburbs the applicants live in. If you lived in suburbs that were labeled as cheap or crime hotspots.. then they also throw your resume out..

and after that process, is when they start to look at experience and qualifications from the remaining resumes.

its dissapointing to see people doing that, however its a reality many people often do not discuss..

you would have to be very naive to believe that this isn't occuring everywhere.

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
ur_inner_child said:
Asian shops are usually family owned with family friends hired. That aside, the majority of customers for asian shops, grocers and resturaunts are in fact asian. Having someone who can speak the same language is appropriate.
yeah but so is learning the primary language of the country in which you are living?

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
breaking said:
yeah but so is learning the primary language of the country in which you are living?
Well yes, and most of the asian grocers/resturuants etc my parents and I visited were bi-lingual.

I don't really see your point.

fnkychk

HSC
N/A
Oh no, you see my pistol whipping rant. Its frustrating to have discrimination, especially peoples rascism towards asian people. I hope they get murdered by the culture they pay out, and if they are female I hope they are forced to have a baby because the person of that race/culture rapes them.
You are disgusting.

shimmy&shine

HSC
I see that most of he discussion is revolving around food shops and retail. But how about television?

Have any of you ever watched, for example, Ten News at 5 pm, and noticed that NONE OF THE REPORTERS OR PRESENTERS are asian, hispanic, black, or whatever other than WHITE??!! It annoys me so much. Because who says that, eg. reporters from an Indian background can't handle the job just as well? Why is it that we have to leave it to the channel SBS (which does a good job) to employ asian presenters that are from other backgrounds other than white. it actually makes me quite angry. Expecially when people go on and on about how multicultural we are, and that Australia 'values celebrating all cultures'.

Well then why can't televsion, as just one facet of the media expanse, be a good reflection of the Australian public?

And blondes - let's use Ten News as an example. specifically presenters, (former anchorwoman) Jessica Rowe, Sandra Sully, Tracey Spicer, Deborah Knight....etc, etc.

Apologies in advance about my rant. I'm optimistic about the future. :) I should add, that Seven News having Nuala as its Weather Girl was a wonderful choice. She was a breath of fresh air. Although I love Jaynie seal on National Nine News as well. She is very professional.

Last edited:

WouldbeDoctor

HSC
N/A
Then again, white people may actually be better presenters and may represent the greater segment of the Australian populous. But what you say is true, but in China, all the people are chinese in the news.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
shimmy&shine said:
I see that most of he discussion is revolving around food shops and retail. But how about television?

Have any of you ever watched, for example, Ten News at 5 pm, and noticed that NONE OF THE REPORTERS OR PRESENTERS are asian, hispanic, black, or whatever other than WHITE??!! It annoys me so much. Because who says that, eg. reporters from an Indian background can't handle the job just as well? Why is it that we have to leave it to the channel SBS (which does a good job) to employ asian presenters that are from other backgrounds other than white. it actually makes me quite angry. Expecially when people go on and on about how multicultural we are, and that Australia 'values celebrating all cultures'.

Well then why can't televsion, as just one facet of the media expanse, be a good reflection of the Australian public?

And blondes - let's use Ten News as an example. specifically presenters, (former anchorwoman) Jessica Rowe, Sandra Sully, Tracey Spicer, Deborah Knight....etc, etc.

Apologies in advance about my rant. I'm optimistic about the future. :) I should add, that Seven News having Nuala as its Weather Girl was a wonderful choice. She was a breath of fresh air. Although I love Jaynie seal on National Nine News as well. She is very professional.
We don't live in in america. Hispanics and blacks? yeah, they certainly make up a huge percentage of our population.
The point is, we need our anchors to appear credible. Who's this 'we' - well, it's the people who watch its news report. Notice how SBS has more diversity? Could it be that people from other nations prefer to watch SBS, thus it's a tactic strategy to use these kinds of people.
Could it be that Chan 10 attracts a younger, white, Aussie crowd? Which is why they choose presenters who are most representative of that segment, like the cooky weather man.

0Jade0

HSC
shimmy&shine said:
Have any of you ever watched, for example, Ten News at 5 pm, and noticed that NONE OF THE REPORTERS OR PRESENTERS are asian, hispanic, black, or whatever other than WHITE??!!
You can be white and Hispanic.
end.

shimmy&shine

HSC
woah, what a response!

lol, true true. We do live in a predominantly western country upholding western values, etc.

I think i got a bit carried away, eek, sorry about that..

stazi said:
We don't live in in america. Hispanics and blacks? yeah, they certainly make up a huge percentage of our population.
I didn't realise until i read your comment how influenced I am by american tv shows, etc. because honestly, those examples kind of just rolled off from the tip of my tongue (but since we're communicating over the internet), the tips of my fingers on the keyboard.

I do understand that the channels have to cater for their audience and continue to attract more people, and that is chiefly through who presents their news. They are those who are attractive, who look intelligent and are articulate.

One thing that always bugged me was, for example, I wonder what it would have been like if a Muslim (by faith and 'general' appearance, as an example) was the television anchor on Ten News who told of the Cronulla riots. Just a thought.

WouldbeDoctor said:
Then again, white people may actually be better presenters and may represent the greater segment of the Australian populous. But what you say is true, but in China, all the people are chinese in the news.
Now that I think about it (which I should have done earlier) there are significant (but qte the minority) White, Indian, populations in China. But then you have to consider the cultural background ratios.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
"I once applied for a job as an anti-discrimination officer but I was rejected me because my...ummm...looks"

This came from a newspaper cartoon on discrimination.

Last edited:

*Minka*

HSC
0Jade0 said:
You can be white and Hispanic.
end.
Correct. One of my best friends is half Spanish and about as white as they come.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
i think she meant that Hispanics are clasified as whites by the US census. There's usually a category for whites including hispanics, then a percentage later on in the census for a breakdown of white minorities.

Furthermore, although in the US census, Hispanics usually includes Mexicans, etc. this is wrong. Hispanics are from Spain and that area. Latinos are from Latin-America.

0Jade0

HSC
stazi said:
i think she meant that Hispanics are clasified as whites by the US census. There's usually a category for whites including hispanics, then a percentage later on in the census for a breakdown of white minorities.

Furthermore, although in the US census, Hispanics usually includes Mexicans, etc. this is wrong. Hispanics are from Spain and that area. Latinos are from Latin-America.
I know. It's retarded and that is why I hate filling out forms in the US. I tick the white box anyway. Also what I hate is when people are described as Hispanic looking. Which doesn't mean anything. You can be white/black/native or a mixture of the three.
And another thing. You can still be 'Latino' and white. Not all people from latin america look like J.Lo or Eva Mendes or whoever. There are plenty of people with blond hair, fair skin and blue eyes in South America.

Also, I was wondering what ethnicity all these Oportos workers are. The ones in my area have lots of Portuguese people working there. They are indeed white.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)