• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

High Level Problem Solving Techniques... (2 Viewers)

FinalFantasy

HSC
HiHi! When you confront a 'high level' maths question, you have no idea what to do and stuff.. how do you tackle it?
(Let this be the case where u can't just skip the question or ask for help or something like that)

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Read it 3 times or so. Formulate a plan. Carry out the plan as far as I can. Read the question a few more times. Try to continue with my plan. If I am not getting anywhere and still have time, I trying a different approach.

In the case of 4unit maths, almost all of the time, my plan works the first time, with varying amounts of time required to carry it out.

But then I don't really consider much of 4unit to be "high level problem solving".

Trev

stix
HSC
Slide Rule said:
But then I don't really consider much of 4unit to be "high level problem solving".
*cough* well u can help me with the last 3 q's in arnold arnold (cambridge), further questions section in polynomials topic......can't u? lol

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
"But then I don't really consider much of 4unit to be "high level problem solving"."

Much != all

Archman

HSC
N/A
i think most hsc "high level" questions are broken down into more accessible bits anyway so you shouldnt be worrying too much.
as of techniques in general, a lot of it really comes under experience i guess. the more you've seen, the more techniques you'll have.

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
i try and solve EVERYTHING using algebra first. Then... if it doesnt work i may try drawing graphs etc.... but im not good at drawing things, so i usually imagine them in my head.

Works great:)

The thing about algebra is, u just play around with it and u will get the answer, but for everything else you have to think carefully about them and that can be frustrating especially in an exam condition...

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
haboozin said:
i try and solve EVERYTHING using algebra first. Then... if it doesnt work i may try drawing graphs etc.... but im not good at drawing things, so i usually imagine them in my head.

Works great:)

The thing about algebra is, u just play around with it and u will get the answer, but for everything else you have to think carefully about them and that can be frustrating especially in an exam condition...
Algebra bash should be avoided if at all possible. It takes far too long.

Trev

stix
HSC
i hate doing stuff by drawing, because i seriously cant draw and anything i TRY and draw ends up being wrong or really wonky and that puts me off coz its hard to see what its sposed to be like! :p

FinalFantasy

HSC
arghh i hate drawing... and also im more crap at graph\diagrammatic type of questions. lol

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
Trev said:
i hate doing stuff by drawing, because i seriously cant draw and anything i TRY and draw ends up being wrong or really wonky and that puts me off coz its hard to see what its sposed to be like! :p

I am exactly like that...

Captain pi

HSC
Trev said:
myeh it also doesnt help if ur too lazy to use a ruler, or u dont hav one! (first ext2 assessment i got in and realised i dont own a ruler lol) :rolleyes:
You will need a set square: they are invaluable tools for circle geometry, graphs, ... basically, any diagrams; and diagrams are important, ¡nay! imperative in Mathematics (Extension 2).

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Captain pi said:
You will need a set square: they are invaluable tools for circle geometry, graphs, ... basically, any diagrams; and diagrams are important, ¡nay! imperative in Mathematics (Extension 2).
I've always wondered...what do you do with a set square and how exactly do you use it? :confused:
Or do you just use it as a substitute for a ruler?

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Archman said:
i think most hsc "high level" questions are broken down into more accessible bits anyway so you shouldnt be worrying too much.
as of techniques in general, a lot of it really comes under experience i guess. the more you've seen, the more techniques you'll have.
Does natural ability come into Ext 2 maths much at all? Or does it primarily involve practice and becoming familiar with different types of questions?...Particularly concerning the more difficult questions (Q7, 8)

FinalFantasy

HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
Does natural ability come into Ext 2 maths much at all? Or does it primarily involve practice and becoming familiar with different types of questions?...Particularly concerning the more difficult questions (Q7, 8)
i would say 'natural ability' doesn't matter. as long as u willing to work heaps and know why u are not doing good(if u aren't) and change lol.

firehose

HSC
true that.... only thing is that Maths work is taking up more than 90% of my homework now though.... ah overload... luckily my other subjects dont need mass revising

"THERE ARE 258 DAYS UNTIL THE HSC" .. 258 nights or so of this routine then...

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
FinalFantasy said:
i would say 'natural ability' doesn't matter. as long as u willing to work heaps and know why u are not doing good(if u aren't) and change lol.
Natural ability helps, but it doesn't mean someone who works hard can't beat them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)