• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

High Level Problem Solving Techniques... (1 Viewer)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Personally I found that while I probably wasn't the most talented in the class, I did well because I worked hard on the easier questions throughout the year, that way you finish them very quickly (Q1-5 or even 6 can be done sub 60 minutes) and that way you have ages to spend on the harder questions, and a better chance of getting them right. What I found was not only did I kill all but one of the smarter people in the easier questions which I had practiced, but I also beat them in the harder questions because I had more time.

ishq

brown?
HSC
withoutaface said:
Personally I found that while I probably wasn't the most talented in the class, I did well because I worked hard on the easier questions throughout the year, that way you finish them very quickly (Q1-5 or even 6 can be done sub 60 minutes) and that way you have ages to spend on the harder questions, and a better chance of getting them right. What I found was not only did I kill all but one of the smarter people in the easier questions which I had practiced, but I also beat them in the harder questions because I had more time.

which ones are the easy questions? :rolleyes:
There are 8 questions (right?) - are they differentiated by topic or all jumbled up?

I usually skip the ones i can't see a solution for after a couple of readings...and come back to them after doing ones i can do - 95% of the time the method strikes me then....

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
ishq said:
which ones are the easy questions? :rolleyes:
There are 8 questions (right?) - are they differentiated by topic or all jumbled up?

I usually skip the ones i can't see a solution for after a couple of readings...and come back to them after doing ones i can do - 95% of the time the method strikes me then....
You should be able to do most of 1-4 in your sleep. As for differentiating them:
Q1=Integration almost always
Q2=Complex nos most of the time
Q3=Graphs and/or conics

And then you normally get some volumes in the first 4 questions.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Where do you usually find polynomials?

ishq

brown?
HSC
and Q8 is literally not do-able?
...if the degree of difficulty increases with each, that is.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
ishq said:
and Q8 is literally not do-able?
...if the degree of difficulty increases with each, that is.
Question 8 is very doable. You just need a lot of practice.

CrashOveride

HSC
2004 Question 8 was fantastically viable. Also, there was a q8 (i think like 1997) where the last part, part b, was a simple complex number geometry question (of a q2 standard).

Perhaps because 2004 was relatively easy based on the last 10 years, you guys will get a backlash this year :p

FinalFantasy

HSC
i think q8 can be done, this is where it comes in when i talk about 'High Level Problem Solving Techniques" lol.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
CrashOveride said:
2004 Question 8 was fantastically viable. Also, there was a q8 (i think like 1997) where the last part, part b, was a simple complex number geometry question (of a q2 standard).

Perhaps because 2004 was relatively easy based on the last 10 years, you guys will get a backlash this year :p
Apparently, the 2005 HSC exam is partially drawn up just prior to students sitting the 2004 exam so as to avoid any bias from the media and/or students who sat the exam.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
withoutaface said:
Q1-5 in 60 mins?? - looking at the papers now, that seems quite formidable but I'm assuming that's because I haven't done some of the topics yet.
Looking back at my progress with Ext 1 last year, I decreased the time it took me to do Q1-5 from ~90 mins to ~50 mins. Hopefully I can do that for Ext 2 as well.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Btw, are there particular topics that tend to appear frequently in Q8? Coz in Ext 1, it's almost always PM, SHM or BT - just wondering if similar patterns occur in Ext 2 or whether it's more "random".

Trev

stix
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
Btw, are there particular topics that tend to appear frequently in Q8? Coz in Ext 1, it's almost always PM, SHM or BT - just wondering if similar patterns occur in Ext 2 or whether it's more "random".
what is PM, SHM and BT?

Trev

stix
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
Apparently, the 2005 HSC exam is partially drawn up just prior to students sitting the 2004 exam so as to avoid any bias from the media and/or students who sat the exam.
can any1 clarify this? becoz i want assurance this years exam isnt guna b too hard :rolleyes: heh

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
It will generally be something pretty out there which involves complex manipulation of integrations, as well as possibly some difficult perms/combs and circle geometry.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Trev said:
can any1 clarify this? becoz i want assurance this years exam isnt guna b too hard :rolleyes: heh
It's better if it is difficult because it means you don't get people who are dumber than you lucking out and slaughtering you.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
withoutaface said:
It's better if it is difficult because it means you don't get people who are dumber than you lucking out and slaughtering you.
But what if you are one of the "dumber" ones? :)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
withoutaface said:
It will generally be something pretty out there which involves complex manipulation of integrations, as well as possibly some difficult perms/combs and circle geometry.
Hmm..ok.
I hate perms/combs - probably my least favourite of the 3U/4U syllabus :( - particularly harder questions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)