High performing teachers to earn six figure salaries (1 Viewer)

DannyBoy33

HSC
N/A
I'd go with last reply too, kids are not the issue, parents are. Then again, parents are not the issue, system is. Bah... :)

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
Blame parenting. Parents are a huge part of education in a child's life and being actively involved plays a crucial component in their development. I noticed students in aussieland are way more disruptive than anywhere else. Shit try being disruptive in asia, glhf bro.
This.

For some reason, a lot of Aussie kids (and parents) have a sense of entitlement to everything without actually working hard for it.

You can always tell the children of parents who dont give a shit.

The reason teachers get little respect is because they are failed students who are fraudulently taking taxpayers money to teach subjects they couldn't understand themselves.
Bwahahahaha.

I pwn teh fizzicks!

I have worked with a ton of 90+ ATAR/UAI teech0rs and even state-rankers. Anyway, even if they get a lowish ATAR, doesnt mean they cant teach, similarly, just because they get a high ATAR doesnt mean they can teach.

Last edited:

puremorning

HSC
I have worked with a ton of 90+ ATAR/UAI teech0rs and even state-rankers. Anyway, even if they get a lowish ATAR, doesnt mean they cant teach, similarly, just because they get a high ATAR doesnt mean they can teach.
Yeah, that doesnt give good enough aprox of how person is with its social skills and global IQ with eg kids, other teachers etc...

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Last I heard of the HAT was external assessors come in and assess your lessons etc to determine if you are HAT. It is not a simple viewing, but it is almost like a portfolio. The teacher has to pay for the assessors to come out and if they don't 'pass' then they still foot the bill.
AFAIK in the next couple of years, all teachers will need to accredited and maintain this accreditation every 5 years through professional development. HAT are additional to this accreditation.
A HAT will be part of the executive, but only on half a teaching load, remainder of the load is to support other teachers.
I have a very superficial understanding atm, but I will be finding out more as I will endeavour to be one of these in the next few years.
At the moment there are very few HAT in the state. I can't remember the exact number, but it was around 10-15 last I heard
Pretty shit idea, in my opinion. Doesn't stop a teacher from teaching properly for a few lessons and fucking being lazy for the rest.

There needs to be many factors such as average student result, change in average student result (compared to past years), student ratings, years experience etc.

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
Pretty shit idea, in my opinion. Doesn't stop a teacher from teaching properly for a few lessons and fucking being lazy for the rest.

There needs to be many factors such as average student result, change in average student result (compared to past years), student ratings, years experience etc.
This is true. I think the idea is that the teachers that ceebs, well, they ceebs doing what is required for HAT. So far, of all the HAT I know, they are definitely best practice teachers.
Change is student results (or value-added) is a good measure of how a teacher has performed, but there are also so many other factors which can influence value-added. Environmental, Welfare, Physical etc.. there is no real way of attributing the value added to the teacher and since the SC is no longer, what do we attribute this value added with respect to? NAPLAN? Then wjo really has added value? It couldve been their Year 9 or 10 teacher or their senior teacher. Its so hard to get right!

There needs to be something to encourage hard-working successful teachers to stay, because after 7 years in most other professions, you would be considered senior and if you are good at what you do, be on $100k+ Why not teaching? Arguably one of the most time consuming, difficult, dynamic and IMPORTANT professions in the world.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A

Teacher's will either cheat for their students or inflate their grades. That's how no child left behind was based on and it just completely fucked with the system.

Tasteless

HSC
I think this is a great start to the much needed re-vamp of the education system in Australia. Other things that need to happen include more difficult entry pathways to education to ensure that only the best and brightest (or at least a shitload less lazy/uninspired/uninspiring people) will be able to enter the education system as teachers, and a huge syllabus change.
The issue isnt the new people entering though, they're universally proactive and inspired (99% anyway) - it's (some of) the older people growing weary / careless that are the problem, the ones just showing up for the paycheck etc. Increasing requirements for new teachers wont have an iota of impact on maintaining new teacher's passion, if it's gunna fade it's gunna fade and they should do the right thing and either change that or leave the profession.

Whilst the counters to this decision are likely to revolve around ridiculously uninformed "but they get 11 weeks paid holidays", "they don't do shit for society", "they are useless and do shit all in comparison to job x", "they have ridiculously low working hours" there is an unfortunately true overarching point created - there are too many low performing teachers that will be undeserving of such a pay rise. Putting beside the point that the same complainers probably do not realise the pay rise isn't some automatic thing given to every teacher or the genuinely crushing workload they are constantly under, this is still a necessary concern (which is why I suggest a more rigorous entry pathway to weed out the would-be-unperformers).

Overall though, there needs to be a greater social respect for teachers. We need an education system similar to that of Norway or South Korea, where teachers are treated with as much respect as the more prestigious occupations such as Lawyers and Doctors.
It p dumb to think someone with a lower entry score would be an underperformer, given that most students who go through alternative entry programs experience greater success at uni (and likely in their teaching endeavors), as a result of actually wanting it and working to get there, rather than simply cruising in from high school without really knowing what they want to do (I admit this is anecdotal). Not to mention the schooling environment isnt for everyone and really only serves to create all-rounder academics, which is not what is required of a high school teacher.

Really, the notion that you can identify 'would-be-underperformers' before they attend university, learn about pedagogy, start planning lessons and actually teach is incredibly presumptuous and entirely subjective to your judgmental whims, about a person who hasn't yet dipped their toes into the water.

Too tired to read the article so the question I am about to ask may have already been answered.

How is 'high performance' going to be measured?
Students from high SES backgrounds will automatically net their teachers higher paychecks and the inverse is true for low SES.

From another article i read there is an abidance of primary school teachers but shortage in high school teachers?

Is the the case or is it typical journalist rubbish?
That's very true, shortages in maths/sci in particular I believe.
Yet over 40k on waiting list for teaching positions in primary lololol

Surely if you greatly reduce the intake of teachers then there will be a shortage, especially considering the huge number of baby boomers who are retiring as we speak.

Maybe you should justify your opinion, otherwise it might well have been written by an eskimo who has never heard of Australia.
For primary, reducing intake is the only sensible measure given out drastic oversupply, high school (where the vast majority of 'shit teachers' seem to be) is another story and further restrictions on maths/sci would probs be disastrous.

The 'baby boomers retiring' is ABSOLUTE GARBAGE and COULD NOT BE MORE FALSE. It is a line that has been parroted for almost 20 years now.

Measuring teacher performance based on exams isn't really good either because it creates an incentive for teachers to cheat for their students.
Yep and teaching to the test with an increased focus on particular subjects is as terrible for authenticity reasons as its for non maths/english subjects (in a primary education). It also discriminates teacher pay on little more than student SES (largely tied to the race and IQ thing sylvy is goin on about).

No that is not true. Teachers get little respect because some students:
A) do not care about education,
b) are forced into going to school
C) , think school is boring,
d) think teachers are unengaging
E) have something against them (e.g. She's such a bitch, he always picks on me)
A most people, even bogans care about education (in its actual definition), it's just that schooling is so far removed from real education it's not funny, and the idea that schooling = education creates much of the contempt for education.
C and D are entirely the teachers fault though.
B is the fault of the compulsory education farce.
E is either the teacher, the student or (most likely) a combination of both.

*a lot of what I say / my perspective is in the context of primary school except when I mention high school explicitly

Tasteless

HSC
I just revisited the Cantwell articles (specifically A Comparison of the Academic Experiences and Achievement of University Students Entering by Traditional and Non-traditional Means and Coping at University: an examination of achievement, motivation, self‐regulation, confidence, and method of entry) I was drawing on re: alternate entry people doing better than traditional entry people. It's true for mature agers (they are relatively on par with young trad ents, but young alt ents tend to go pretty shit at uni actually).

JohnMaximus

shepherd of the people
HSC
It p dumb to think someone with a lower entry score would be an underperformer, given that most students who go through alternative entry programs experience greater success at uni (and likely in their teaching endeavors), as a result of actually wanting it and working to get there, rather than simply cruising in from high school without really knowing what they want to do (I admit this is anecdotal).
U r one cheeky guy but h can't trick me, that's right I read the fallacies section and I see through your fancy talk

Good try but it takes an early birder to trick this worm in the morning

eastpak

HSC
N/A
U r one cheeky guy but h can't trick me, that's right I read the fallacies section and I see through your fancy talk

Good try but it takes an early birder to trick this worm in the morning
lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)