High School Math Teacher Questions (1 Viewer)

food

HSC
Hi BOS,
I just wanted to ask a few questions. Currently I am doing an Engineering degree, but finding that I am losing interest in proceeding in the field. I was looking into possibly switching into a Bachelor of Science Bachelor of Education (BSC/BEd) at UNSW and majoring in maths. Are there are any current students or graduates here that I could ask a few questions to?
e.g. what are the gender ratio in teaching (I assume much better than engineering:p ), how many hours in an average timetable and do you think the level of maths would be harder than what I would come across later in engineering?

Any general advice for me?
Thanks for any help, much appreciated.

Silly Sausage

HSC
You can complete your engineering degree and do a teaching diploma.
I've known many math teachers who have done this.

food

HSC
That's an option I didn't consider, might consider that :D

Does anyone else have anything else to input? Any answers to the questions? Anyone done what was suggested above ?

sundried

HSC
I doubt the level of maths would be harder than in engineering.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
I don't do either degree but I am assuming it is harder than engineering maths

Flop21

HSC
How far into your degree are you? If you've done quite a bit, just finish it. You may regret it later, doing all that work and getting nothing out of it. At least then you'll have more options if you change your mind again later on.

Peeik

HSC
Hi BOS,
I just wanted to ask a few questions. Currently I am doing an Engineering degree, but finding that I am losing interest in proceeding in the field. I was looking into possibly switching into a Bachelor of Science Bachelor of Education (BSC/BEd) at UNSW and majoring in maths. Are there are any current students or graduates here that I could ask a few questions to?
e.g. what are the gender ratio in teaching (I assume much better than engineering:p ), how many hours in an average timetable and do you think the level of maths would be harder than what I would come across later in engineering?

Any general advice for me?
Thanks for any help, much appreciated.
The female to male ratio is pretty even.
Early years you are looking at 24hrs a week because you need to do your science units as well as your education units. As you proceed the hours will drop, especially when you have finished the science part of your double degree.
You would need to do 3rd year level mathematics. I just chose the intermediate level and found it fine. Nothing particularly difficult or over bearing.

You can complete your engineering degree and do a teaching diploma.
I've known many math teachers who have done this.
Don’t quote me on this but I think you cant get a diploma in education anymore. If anything you want to finish your degree in engineering then apply for a Masters in Teaching at USYD or UNSW.

How far into your degree are you? If you've done quite a bit, just finish it. You may regret it later, doing all that work and getting nothing out of it. At least then you'll have more options if you change your mind again later on.
I agree with Flop21, if you are close to finishing your engineering degree, you might as well finish and then do an Mteach.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)