Higher Level Integration Marathon & Questions (1 Viewer)

Drsoccerball

HSC
Re: Extracurricular Integration Marathon

Well, I mean, Sophomore's Dream is nice and all, but there isn't a closed form...
Yes that's the answer how did you do it though o_O ? Did you create a taylor series and just integrate each term or?

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

And by 'inspection' you mean 'Google' or 'Wolfram'?

Nobody's buying it, mate.
It was a joke -_-

I've already encountered Sophomore's Dream before, on one of my many followed blogs.

As for Ahmed's Integral, I didn't know the answer was exactly that until I put the numerical answer into ISC+.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A

It was a joke -_-

I've already encountered Sophomore's Dream before, on one of my many followed blogs.
Didn't look like a joke to me. Looked like taking credit where credit was not due.

But I'll humour you. Explain the your first "wild guess" then.

I'm sure we're all fascinated to see how you guessed such an answer, whilst refusing to provide at least any sort of outline of a method.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

Didn't look like a joke to me. Looked like taking credit where credit was not due.

But I'll humour you. Explain the your first "wild guess" then.

I'm sure we're all fascinated to see how you guessed such an answer, whilst refusing to provide at least any sort of outline of a method.
From above: As for Ahmed's Integral, I didn't know the answer was exactly that until I put the numerical answer into ISC+.

Also, putting the integral into Wolfram Alpha doesn't give you the closed form. Google... well you can't exactly search tex code easily. So I resorted to the above, taking the numerical value of the integral to 50 decimal places.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

Well I would post my solution which I figured out yesterday, but I'm not sure it's worth anything at this point.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A

Thank you. The spirit of this thread exists in the solution methods, not the answers.

This is still not fully consistent with the below post, but I'll drop the case as an answer has now been given, regardless of its true origins.

I have not found a complete solution to this integral, only generalised forms. Do you happen to have a solution that specifically deals with this integral?

Last edited:

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

Thank you. The spirit of this thread exists in the solution methods, not the answers.

This is still not fully consistent with the below post, but I'll drop the case as an answer has now been given, regardless of its true origins.
In saying so, I can't do anything that can only be done through contour integration, so my box of tools is much smaller than yours, or most people who are on this thread.

Drsoccerball

HSC

How do double integrals even work ?

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

You just evaluate them variable by variable.

How you generate them is a more interesting story.
Yeah, knowing when to revert a function into the definite integral of a simpler function is not at all obvious for the most part.

Last edited:

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A

You're probably clever enough to get the general gist of it (double integration via Cartesian coordinate system) from this image. I'm guessing you just want a rough idea, not a more rigorous construction.

Just imagine throwing in an extra dimension to everything. Instead of 1 dimensional partitions (the subintervals) of a domain, we have 2 dimensional partitions of a region. Instead of taking 2 dimensional 'strips', we have 3 dimensional 'strips'. Instead of swooping over the domain once, we swoop over it twice (once in the x direction, again in the y direction). Instead of finding an 'area', we find a 'volume'.

Drsoccerball

HSC

You're probably clever enough to get the general gist of it (double integration via Cartesian coordinate system) from this image. I'm guessing you just want a rough idea, not a more rigorous construction.

Just imagine throwing in an extra dimension to everything. Instead of 1 dimensional partitions (the subintervals) of a domain, we have 2 dimensional partitions of a region. Instead of taking 2 dimensional 'strips', we have 3 dimensional 'strips'. Instead of swooping over the domain once, we swoop over it twice (once in the x direction, again in the y direction). Instead of finding an 'area', we find a 'volume'.

Is this apart of Matrices ? Doesn't seem to hard :p So can we treat one of the changing functions as a constant while we integrate the 'flat' part ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)