Higher Maths and Maths 1A @ UNSW (1 Viewer)

munkaii

HSC
Hey guys,

I'm doing Mechatronics Engineering @ UNSW this year and I'm having a little dilemma with my course choices.

I'm stuck between which type of mathematics I should do and was thinking if you guys could inform me of whether its worth it or not. In the HSC i got 98 for ext1 maths and 95 for ext2 maths so I'm in the reccommended range for Higher Maths. However, I was reccommended just Maths 1A based on COLA. Maybe i was rusty but I'm tentative as to whether doing the higher maths subject would be better for my uni studies or should i just settle with Maths 1A.

Cheers, Kevin

gman03

HSC
If you appreciate maths or fancy challenges, do higher maths

If you just do it just for the marks, no comments

If you want to enjoy your uni and not spend too much time cramming for the exam, do 1131.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
isnt cola that stupid online test the school of maths suggest you do?

with your marks, you will destroy first year maths if you go to your algebra lectures. calculus will be a waste of time.

munkaii

HSC
I do fancy the challenge but the really difficult stuff is what i'm worried about. Maths is quite a challenge to me. Maybe ill begin with higher maths and drop down if i dont like it at all. What is maths 1A like? is it the equiv. of 3u hsc?

adgala

HSC
does it matter if we do higher maths (1141) or just normal maths (1131)?

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
in terms of marks, it shouldn't matter much which one you choose because 1141 is scaled so that students are not dissadvantaged from the easier 1131. It really comes down to whether you want a challenge and can take a little extra stress. I didn't get nearly the ext2 mark you got and I'm going to give 1141 a try.

munkaii

HSC
Iruka said:
The main reason for doing the higher version is that you learn more.

15% more education for exactly the same HECS.
Is it worth the 2 ridiculous 9am starts though? The way my timetable pans out im going to be stuck at uni 9-5 for 3 days of the week so if i can still do 1131 and not lose ground compared to those doing 1141 i may give it a go. I've been told an employer won't really care about what type of maths you did at uni as long as you graduate.

gman03

HSC
IMO, Higher level subjects, e.g. higher maths, are merely for those who are interested in the subject and wouldn't mind to be exposed to more challenging topics. The scaling should be seen as rewards, not a gurantee to high marks.

On a more relavent note, it shouldn't matter whether your lecture is at 9 or 5, what's more important is which lecturer to attend and which to avoid

If you see a guy with a name ryhmes with Peter Brown, well..... ATTEND THAT LECTURE / TUTORIAL!!!! Even if it is held at midnight!!!!

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
I think all MATH1141 ppl have Dr AH An Huef and/or Mr PG Brown??

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
peter brown is an awesome algebra lecturer and in second semester i think you get ian doust for higher calculus and he is awesome too.

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
hi everyone!

i too am deciding between math1131 and math1141. I got a combined mark of 184 for extension 1 and extension 2 - or are hsc maths marks not really an indication of how well you'll go in uni maths?

Also, will the higher maths help me for electrical engineering? Will the normal maths 1A be too easy?

Thanks a lot for your help!

wogboy

Terminator
HSC
I recommend you do higher, you shouldn't have much problems with it (given your HSC marks). If you find the workload too high, you can always drop to normal maths 1A (but not vice versa).

And yes I did find that some of the advanced topics in 1st year higher maths paved the way more easily for 2nd year maths/elec content.

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
brown can also teach calc, and doust can also teach algebra :p
They are good in those departments as well xD

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
it said somewhere on the unsw maths site that for MATH1141 you were expected to have achieved an E4 in extension 2 maths - i don't know what "E" band 88 is - but i'll give the higher maths a go anyway and see how i go. i can always drop down to MATH1131 for session 2 if i fail :eek:....

gman03

HSC
ianc said:
it said somewhere on the unsw maths site that for MATH1141 you were expected to have achieved an E4 in extension 2 maths - i don't know what "E" band 88 is - but i'll give the higher maths a go anyway and see how i go. i can always drop down to MATH1131 for session 2 if i fail :eek:....
Don't worry about their expected marks, go by your interest.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
ianc said:
i got similar marks to you for my hsc, and i did higher. i didnt go to many lectures and i missed out on distinction by a nasal hair.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)