Higher vs Normal (Maths) (1 Viewer)

Carl Gauss

HSC
I am taking Linear Algebra next semester but I'm not sure which level to choose. How much of a difference is there in general between higher and normal courses? I haven't done any 2nd year first semester courses (2111/2011 and 2901/2801) so that is why I am asking. Thanks.

deterministic

HSC
normal generally have slightly less content (around 1 topic less than higher). For higher, the topics they share with the normal level would include an extension. This is compensated by the fact is much easier to get a higher mark (HD+) in higher than normal if you are decent at maths.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
I am taking Linear Algebra next semester but I'm not sure which level to choose. How much of a difference is there in general between higher and normal courses? I haven't done any 2nd year first semester courses (2111/2011 and 2901/2801) so that is why I am asking. Thanks.
The difference between the two is like comparing 2u to 4u. You can get a HD in adv. maths without completing even 2/3 of the paper.

Galapagos

HSC
N/A
The difference between the two is like comparing 2u to 4u. You can get a HD in adv. maths without completing even 2/3 of the paper.
Is that due to allotting HD's D's and C' etc based on a quota? Like top 10 get hd, etc? Sorry, I don't know much about this and I was wondering myself.

HSC
N/A
In second year the higher courses are usually quite a bit more abstract and less computational. If you look at the course handout on the website it says:

The final marks in MATH2501 will be scaled with
reference to final marks in MATH2601, taking into consideration the greater degree of
difficulty of MATH2601. As a result few, if any, High Distinction grades will be awarded
in MATH2501, and no student will be awarded a final mark of more than 90%.

I wouldn't say that it is easy to get an HD in higher. Just that almost all the good students do higher so the competition is pretty tough at the top.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
"As a result few, if any, High Distinction grades will be awarded in MATH2501, and no student will be awarded a final mark of more than 90%."

oh snap

Anyways, the real question we should ask is - how good are you at maths? That's the best indicator. Like what other maths courses have you taken and what marks did you get in them.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
"As a result few, if any, High Distinction grades will be awarded in MATH2501, and no student will be awarded a final mark of more than 90%."
That's because it's really easy to get 100 in those courses if you're half decent at maths (they ask pretty standard/tutorial-like questions in the final examinations for the lower level maths).

I did a 'non capped' version of MATH2520 (for reasons that I cbb explaining here) and got 100...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)