Highest scaling subjects? (1 Viewer)

tahles

HSC
Hi Guys,

what are the highest scaling subjects to do to get a good ATAR?
i know it depends on what mark you get in a subject, because if you get low, you get scaled down, right?
and also, i have been told that your results are based on your ranking in the course, and not in the final tests,?

enoilgam

HSC
The highest scaling subjects are typically the maths extensions, some language extensions followed by chemistry, physics and economics. However, I am of the view that the best subjects to do are the ones which you are good at and enjoy.

With HSC results, your final mark is made up of your school assessment mark and exam mark (both count for 50%). Final school assessment marks are determined by your position in the cohort and your cohorts performance on the external exams. Your position in the cohort is determined by your ranking and the relative gaps between you and other students. The process by which internal marks are determined is known as moderation. For a more detailed explanation on this process, see this link.

tahles

HSC
i am currently doing general maths, biology and chemistry. our school works differently, so i complete year 11 and 12 of these subjects this year, then do 3 new subjects next year, (i do 2 HSC's of 3 subjects)
i was doing advanced maths, but found it very difficult , and i couldnt focus on my other subjects .. when i dropped to general, i got 100% on an exam without studying, and i am very confident that i could rank 1st.

i have been told that i should not do legal studies, because it scales bad?

enoilgam

HSC
Legal Studies is an average scaler - if you feel as if you will enjoy the subject and do well in it, I think you should pick it. What is your ATAR aim?

tahles

HSC
i'm not sure as to what i want to be later in life, but i definitely want to go to university. I am aiming for 80 - 90, just to keep my options open .

enoilgam

HSC
i'm not sure as to what i want to be later in life, but i definitely want to go to university. I am aiming for 80 - 90, just to keep my options open .
In that case, I wouldnt worry too much about scaling at all. So far, you are doing/planning on doing General, Biology, Chemistry and Legal so scaling shouldnt be a problem at all. Are you going to do Advanced or Standard?

tahles

HSC
advanced or standard maths, do you mean?
i am going to stick with standard, because i dont have to focus on it as much as other subjects.. i am having trouble in chemistry, so need to devote more time to it.

enoilgam

HSC
advanced or standard maths, do you mean?
i am going to stick with standard, because i dont have to focus on it as much as other subjects.. i am having trouble in chemistry, so need to devote more time to it.
I mean, Advanced or Standard english.

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A
enoilgam means Advance or Standard English. Also in terms of difficulty Standard English is a 'tiny' bit easier than Advanced but the workload is almost identical.
Since you are having difficulty with Chemistry, I would advise you to check your progress. If you find you are still struggling throughout the year then I would advise you to drop it.

tahles

HSC
oh, i am cnfident in english, so i was thinking of doing advanced,

but also, we arent able to drop subjects because of the way our school runs..

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A
You will pretty much struggle to reach your goal if you choose Standard. The only exception is if you can get a few Band 6s and high band 5s in all your other subjects.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
I think the general consensus is that standard English is bad. Don't drop down from advanced, the only thing different is the texts.

tahles

HSC
so do you get scaled up if you do advanced english?

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A
To be more exact, Advanced English and Standard English almost have exactly the same scaling. The main difference is the aligning process.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)