highlighting (1 Viewer)

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
where would we be without our trusted highlighters :)

anywho does anybody highlight the texts/textbooks handed out in class which we have to bring back after the hsc?

i used to just underline important quotes with pencil but recently began highlighting passages because

1) i was in a rush
2) there was no pencil available
3) i sincerely can't remember :p

people in the past have highlighted parts of the books i'm reading but i still feel as though i could be damaging school property or something.

btw i love highlighting :eek:

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I generally only highlight worksheets, in the textbook I normally use pencil. :p

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Yes highlighting photocopied handouts\notes is quite effective and immediately draws your attention when you go over your notes latter.

Nope I don't highlight text I have only ever used pencil to underline quotes and annotate, as it would look a bit odd highlighting since the books don't have any in them. Well since other people have done it before you, I doubt they will notice.

PrettyVacant

HSC
I've become very selective about highlighting after my history teacher said, "You don't learn anything by colouring in words, girls!"

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
PrettyVacant said:
I've become very selective about highlighting after my history teacher said, "You don't learn anything by colouring in words, girls!"
But if you highlight key words and phrases it gives you something easily looked over and remembered, which is the point of highlighting.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
it works better for modern history and humanity type subjects i guess.

some guy highlighted chapters in my maths textbook :rofl:

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
all our textbooks have been highlighted over the generations as well so any new additions don't get noticed at all....

each time I go over my notes I usually underline in a different colour or using a different pen to circle words etc.... so by the end of the year I usually have nice colourful worksheets with essential notes emphasised heaps.... :)

*Lozzie*

HSC
i love highlighting it makes everything so much more interesting and also in some cases it easier to remember links if you colour code things

HSC
Highlighting is sweeet :) But no, I don't highlight the school textbooks. I only underline in pencil and write notes in pencil. Our English teacher said to to go ahead and vandalise the novels with notes in pencil, but to use those colourful stick-it thingies instead of highlighting.

But for sheets and stuff, I just highlight away. Though if the school textbook/novel has already been highlighted and written all over, they probably wouldn't notice.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
sweetsweetcandy said:
Highlighting is sweeet :)
sweet like "sweet, sweet candy" (Homer Simpson .. in that ep where he takes the gummy from a babysitter's buttocks)? :eek:

priesty's situation is probably the most similar to mine, i think i shall continue highlighting. whilst attempting to control myself and not to go overboard of course

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
I'm the retard who goes overboard with highlighting

You should see my UAC guuide and that's not even HSC related :|

ALL THE PRETTY COLOURS (I have like a set of 8 highlighters ^_^)

omigodwhenover

gotta love the HSC...
HSC
i started highlighting my bio textbook and my legal textbook and i do it very rarely because i feel like a vandal. But I mainly do it when there is a huge chunk of text without paragraphs and it seems so hard to read and comprehend. In my legal textbook the idiot girl that owned it before me occassionally highlighted something and wrote 'learn this for HSC'. I'm like duuuude you have to know the whole thing; its a HSC textbook. Idiots.

ditto

drops of jupiter
HSC
omg - u highlight the school's textbooks!?! hahaha although it might be helpful for you, keep in mind that it can be distracting for other people who use the tb later on. I certainly get very annoyed when i see highlighted sections in my business studies textbook, especially when they highlight more than is necessary.

omigodwhenover

gotta love the HSC...
HSC
what the worst thing is when ssomeone highlights a whole freakin page. Im like: whats the fucking difference??? I have friends that do that...but yeh, its pretty pointless

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
well ok another matter here.

for those who just use pencil on their textbooks, would they rub this out at the end of the year?

because if you dont, isn't this just the same as if somebody using a highlighter on the book? i mean you can't expect the next dude/dudette who receives your textbook to rub out all your markings can you?

ditto

drops of jupiter
HSC
yuck, sorry, i'm just totally against writing/highlighting someone else's textbooks. it feels so wrong! it's just ruining the whole book!

but i reckon if you did underline something, probably rub it out? hahaha dunno! :)

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
*guilt*
i do it...i try not to but sometimes it doesnt matter how many times i read it, i have to highlight and write notes on it to make it sink in. i would use a pencil, but im one of those people who seem to be forever short of the stationery they need...whenever i want a lead pencil i only have gel pens and when i need those i have a pencil. lol. thats luck for you.

HSC
due to the fact that some people from the year before us took the buisness books our teacher bought new ones - i highlight in it sometimes but whenver theres a teacher i start to use my pencil...

for ancient history ive used more then 8 highlighters ...:( and we have the new pompeii books and we arent allowed to highlight so i just underline...

and i need new highlighters now ...

karoooh

HSC
Our Business class is the only, out of 3, that does any actual highlighting in the text book. Oh, and we write in it as well!

Our teacher just said, at the beginning of Year 11 to, 'just let go', and we did! We resell text books at the end of the year, but if the next year don't want it, they can buy new ones at a discount through the school, so it's not all bad! :p

I also highlight in my Physics text book, cos it's MINE. Doesn't matter if no one wants a highlighted text book, cos a friend of mine wants it already, and my brother will need it next year.

I just need to figure out who to give it to. :p

Season

HSC
So many people use highlighters incorrectly and get nothing out of it, sometimes it can be detrimental. You have to learn what is the important point in a paragraph and highlight it.

My history teacher actively encouraged us to highlight info, but at first she showed us what bits to highlight and why. Random colouring in the page is ridiculous.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)