Historical Fiction. (1 Viewer)

w00dy.

HSC
i have to admit i have read a few historical fiction books and one that i will always been drawn back to every time would have to be

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas - John Boyne
its context; Nazi Germany​

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
The Source - James Michener

Ranges over the history of Israel and Judaism. Awesome book.

HSC
The two main ones I'd recommend are

Patrick O'Brian- Aubrey-Maturin Series, amazing books, head and shoulders above every other author of his ilk, he has the detailed knowledge of age of sail history and naval life of C.S Forester, only with far better characters and writing that goes beyond the action scenes. These books had the same impact on me that War and Peace did, they became a part of my life, only while War and Peace is just one novel, this series has 20 books.

George MacDonald Fraser- Flashman Series. Another set of novels set in the 19th century, only with a vastly different tone. Flashman is a coward whose undeserved reputation as a hero (he is often in the right place at the right time or the only survivor of a battle due to his ability to avoid fighting) sees him involved in everything from the Opium Wars to organising the Charge of the Light Brigade. Incredibly funny novels which do an excellent job mocking the 'Boys Own' style of manly historcal action novels.

I'm also just starting a rather good series about the navy during the American Revolution by James Nelson, but they are driven by the action more than the characters

HSC
I liked Labyrinth by Kate Mosse. It's very interesting because it tells the stories of two women, one in the 13th century and one in the 21st century (I won't say any more, you need to read it). It's set in France.

sarevok

HSC
Bernard Cornwell is great IMO. Try his Sharpe series if you have an interest in the Napoleonic wars. Kind of similar to the Flashman series - similarities between the hero, and same tounge-in-cheek English humour. His books are extremely violent though, which may be a turnoff for some

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
chicky_pie said:
Anything that has to do with The Holocaust, is historical fiction ;)
But Corrie Ten Boom!

SiN3m

HSC
Hannibal: Pride of Carthage by David Anthony Durham
Tom Appleby: Convict Boy byJackie French
Mary bryant SCUTT C

Last edited:

Namlet

The Yellow Pirate!
HSC
Horatio Hornblower series by C.S. Forester

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)