historical investigation asses (1 Viewer)

S.T.P

HSC
i recently recieved an assesment task where we need to choose any historical topic that isnt used the the hsc course, for the topic we need to develop a focus question, formulate a hypothesis abd present an argument in response to the question.

i am having trouble thinking of a good topic todo, can anyone suggest any topics that will be easy to develop a focus question and have good support of primary and secondary sources?

thanks in advance

i was thinking tupac shakur, but am not sure of what kind of focus question i could develop, and it is probley to modern.

Redbeard

HSC
When i did mine, i chose the Tiananmen Square Massacre. I found it rather easy to do focus questions, and there were plenty of sources on it. If you choose this you have to remember that there are contradictory sources, but this is just because the Chinese government put there own sources out that tell a very different story to western sources. they should all be taken into account though. you wont be able to do this though if it is in a course that you do later in the year.

Last edited:

Cheap Thrills

HSC
What is everyone else doing for this?? I'm doing the Rwandan genocide. I know people doing the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade and apartheid and also things like Kokoda and the development of the motor-vehicle

Last edited:

trapped.569

HSC
currently doing the same assignment... i agree tiananmen square is an excellent topic.

theres no such thing as too modern. modern history is from back in the day to present. as in 5 secs ago :p

hope you got it done
<3. xox.

maddy_d

Taper Jean Girl
HSC
when i did mine last year, it was on the social impact that the beatles have had from music to fashion and sub cultures, that kinda thing. pick something that has a fair amount information/sources to accompany it. but most of all, pick something that you are really interested in because it makes the process easier. good luck :)

georgie.girl

HSC
I did mine on whether Abraham Lincoln was really the Great Emancipator, which was really interesting coz theres lots of historiographical stuff.

Our teacher limited the scope down and our class all had to chose something from the US Civil war. It was really helpful, because sometimes having so much choice just makes it harder. So chose something your interested in and start doing some general research and you may find something that does interest you.

Dont stress to much if you dont have a perfect essay question, often your research will take you off in different directions anyway, just keep refining and focusing your research and youll get to something eventually.

Whatever you do make sure its something you enjoy coz its just too hard if you find it boring.

So ask yourself, are you interested in

Modern or Ancient or really contemporary
Social/Political/Military etc
Events/People/themes or ideas (like communism, nazism, zionism etc)

Good luck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)