Historiography? (1 Viewer)

Mrtechz

HSC
How should I go about putting in Historiography into my essays and does anyone know any good websites on finding other historians views?

zxreth

HSC
in all honesty, wikipedia is really good for historiography, i got alot of my Germany stuff from there and international peace and conflict stuff.

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
Historiography is basically the perspectives of historians, and to integrate these into History essays all that is need is for example is: J. Smith argued that "World War I was due to German Empirical Expansion". Generally you would include Historians in responses when there is quite a lot of controversy, or where a Historian presents an unique view on a subject, or sheds light on a debate or information.

It depends on the topic in which you are studying to where you can find historical documents. Usually your teacher will give students excerpts from Historian's publications, or just photocopies of textbooks which will say 'J.Smith said...' and it would be up to you to find their book to gain further Historiography. Basically, you won't find much online, as most will be in books and / or articles.

Mrtechz

HSC
Thanks. Makes sense. Do you think the key features of modern history book by Bruce Dennett is any good for historiography?

Checked out Wikipedia and it seems to have some pretty good extracts. :uhhuh:

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
The Key Features book is actually a really good source for Modern History, used in conjunction with other sources of course. Dependent on the topics you do for Preliminary / HSC there are other text books out there that are quite great in detail and Historiography. For example, Contested Spaces: Conflict in Europe 1935-1945 by Thomas Cantwell is actually a good analysis for the Conflict in Europe conflict and peace option.

For a good overall guide that contains Historiography your best bet would be to look at the HTA Modern History Study guide, it is actually really good, and is extremely detailed.

enoilgam

HSC
With quotes I often found it was best to make them up on the day. This is because most of the time, it was better to devise a quote which fit in really nicely within the essay, instead of forcing in some real quote which didnt fit as well. As long as the quote sounds plausible the markers wont know the difference. In saying that though, I did memorise a couple of real quotes from my notes which were general enough to be molded to fit a variety of different questions.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
You don't need quotes at all - what you need is an undestanding of the basic interpretation of some historians - so saying that 'xxxx believes that Speer didn't know anything about the death camps but yyyy argues that he had to know because of his position within the Reich' is what is really required rather than the exact quotes of xxxx and yyyy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)