History and memory clarifications, Guernica + The 50th Gate (1 Viewer)

Alfoy

HSC
Hi,

To say that I am not enjoying H&M is an understatement, I find it really hard to find things to say, if I'm talking about the right thing etc. I'm studying The 50th Gate and my related text is Guernica, a painting by Picasso. I understand how Baker is using H&M in his process sure, combining parents memories with archival material to produce a rich tapestry of the past etc etc. But I don't understand how Picasso's painting can use elements of memory, per say, seeing as though he's documented the bombing of the town of Guernica in his painting, how can there be memories of the event, per say, if the composer wasn't there? Am I meant to be talking about how Picasso has chosen to abstractly represent the event to create memories that the affected would be feeling, or do I just not talk about memory at all, seeing as through it is abstraction and Picasso wasn't even there? I'm linking it to T50G with how the composer has chosen to represent the atrocities that arise from warfare.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :spin:

kellyjelly

HSC
The painting was a response to the bombing, and he turned what he saw to reflect the brutality and viciousness of war in general rather than a specific representation of the Guernica bombing. Picasso saw the effects of the bombing, since he wasn't really there.
And since his mural was made with these memories, it has now become a secondary source so a part of history.
I hope I kind of helped, I guess it depends on your interpretation of the painting. I'm doing Guernica as well. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)