• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

History at University (1 Viewer)

Milambar

HSC
Hi.

I'm looking for some advice about which university to study history (ancient preferably, but some modern in the mix wouldn't hurt) at.

I'll be finishing my VCE this year, and I'm primarily looking at NSW universities, but will likely be applying for QLD and VIC uni's as well.
So, which uni would you recommend? If possible, I'd very much like a suggestion of the better options for each state, and perhaps a best out of them?

Thanks in advance.

absorber

HSC
USyd has the best arts faculty in sydney, hands down. the number of arts subjects they have on offer is superior to any other uni.
From what I've heard, I second this. Also the most difficult to get into though for arts, for the same reason I presume.

izzy88

HSC
Hi.

I'm looking for some advice about which university to study history (ancient preferably, but some modern in the mix wouldn't hurt) at.

if you are looking to do ancient history I would seriously consider Macquarie University. They have the largest ancient history department and offer a wide variety of ancient history courses from the classics stuff like Rome/Greece and also Egypt etc as well as a broad range of ancient languages. They also offer a Bachelor of Ancient History (Hons) in contrast to just a Bachelor of Arts.

In contrast, USYD doesn't have many ancient subjects on offer (about 2-4 a semester) and they only teach Rome/Greece (ie. what is generally termed classics). There is nothing on Egypt etc. The same with languages (only offer Latin/Ancient Greek). So realistically, USYD is quite limited, in that it will give you only a classical ancient history education, and you will end up repeatedly doing courses on the Roman Republic (I've done about 3 now all called various things/in various guises but still covering the same period!).

If you are looking at modern history, its probably the other way round, with USYD offering a wider variety of subjects in comparison to MQ.

When i was choosing where to go in 2006 i found it very difficult to choose between MQ and USYD. In the end I choose USYD, because it was closer to home, and i was probably drawn in a bit by the 'prestige' thing- i also decided to do law. After basically completing a major in ancient history i've now decided (in my last semester of 3rd year) that I will probably do honours in history next year rather than ancient. I haven't regretted not going to MQ, but I think it probably has a bit more on offer for ancient than USYD.

I wouldn't have considered any other universities- except possibly ANU in Canberra, but i was generally looking at NSW rather than outside the state.

Hope that helps. :)

Milambar

HSC
Thanks a lot for the advice. I'll look into it all, but I don't know if Sydney will be financially viable for me.

X

xeuyrawp

It really depends on what area of history you want to do. If you're interested in the ancient world outside Greece and Rome, you have no choice but to go to Macquarie. Macquarie history, both modern and ancient, is pretty awesome, and based on the few classes I had to take at Sydney, is honestly comparable with Sydney. If you want to do archaeological fieldwork, Macquarie easily wins hands-down due to the number and quality of activities, and support of students going there.

However, if you're generally interested in history and don't really have a specific passion, I wouldn't decide based on what the universities offer but more on things like transport and whether you like the campus. Do you like anything outside of history? Do you want to maybe play a sport or something? These questions are very relevant and should be considered.

if you are looking to do ancient history I would seriously consider Macquarie University. They have the largest ancient history department and offer a wide variety of ancient history courses from the classics stuff like Rome/Greece and also Egypt etc as well as a broad range of ancient languages. They also offer a Bachelor of Ancient History (Hons) in contrast to just a Bachelor of Arts.

In contrast, USYD doesn't have many ancient subjects on offer (about 2-4 a semester) and they only teach Rome/Greece (ie. what is generally termed classics). There is nothing on Egypt etc. The same with languages (only offer Latin/Ancient Greek). So realistically, USYD is quite limited, in that it will give you only a classical ancient history education, and you will end up repeatedly doing courses on the Roman Republic (I've done about 3 now all called various things/in various guises but still covering the same period!).
That's essentially right, but you've missed the real issue, imo: Not that Sydney doesn't offer a wider variety of ancient world subjects, but why that's the case. Sydney essentially teaches you Classics or archaeology, whereas Macquarie teaches ancient history. If you want to learn decontextualised textual sources, Sydney's great, really. Otherwise you need to have contact with scholars who are active archaeologically.

Edit: Oops, something that also warrants mention is that, say you end up enrolling in MQ or USyd (for argument's sake) and you think the other university would be better for you, you can easily consider transferring.

Last edited by a moderator:

izzy88

HSC
However, if you're generally interested in history and don't really have a specific passion, I wouldn't decide based on what the universities offer but more on things like transport and whether you like the campus. Do you like anything outside of history? Do you want to maybe play a sport or something? These questions are very relevant and should be considered.
good point. this is what i actually ended up doing - i chose the closest university to home (didn't really want to travel the 45 minutes or whatever on the bus to MQ) :) that and usyd is pretty :p

Milambar

HSC
Well, at the moment I'm actually living in Geelong, VIC, but I'll be moving to where ever I get into uni at, so Sydney might be out of my price range. If it happens to be, is there a uni outside of Sydney that has a good ancient history selection?

[Edit]: And does anyone happen to know about which QLD universities have a good history selection?

X

xeuyrawp

Well, at the moment I'm actually living in Geelong, VIC, but I'll be moving to where ever I get into uni at, so Sydney might be out of my price range.
Scholarships? Smooching of the govment?

If it happens to be, is there a uni outside of Sydney that has a good ancient history selection?
ANU for modern history and archaeology as well as a bit of classics, UNE, and Newcastle, in that order, really.

Would renting a shitbox in Sydney really be that much more than paying college fees at ANU, UNE, or UNCLE?

[Edit]: And does anyone happen to know about which QLD universities have a good history selection?
It's essentially only University of Queensland, but I would avoid going there, tbh.

Melbourne and Monash aren't bad; better than UQld really.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)