"HIV Patients Not Welcome in Australia" John Howard (1 Viewer)

BritneySpears

Banned
HSC
KFunk said:
Another way of dealing with the problem (speaking in terms of infectious diseases in general) --> invest more in research/medications which aim to lessen the prevalence of the disease. Regardless of what we do, infectious agents typically refuse to respect national borders. Even if we do succeeed with keeping infectious people out of our country nature will often find a way, think poultry, rats, mosquitos, parasites in river systems and so forth (we are more protected than most being an island). It's easy for european nations to sit back and see the spread of tuberculosis through the Russian prison system as just 'Russia's problem', back that ignores the fact that it vastly increases the chance of an outbreak in the region. If the world could unite on the issue of health then perhaps we wouldn't have to deal with this problem? (certainly not to the same degree).
What if those countries don't want to be helped? For example Russia severely restricts any form of foreign AID not going through government (in that case corrupt russian government simply siphon off money) and most foreign non government organisations are either banned or expelled last year. I don't see why Europeans should be blamed for Russia's TB problem.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
BritneySpears said:
What if those countries don't want to be helped? For example Russia severely restricts any form of foreign AID not going through government (in that case corrupt russian government simply siphon off money) and most foreign non government organisations are either banned or expelled last year. I don't see why Europeans should be blamed for Russia's TB problem.
Certainly, I agree that you have hit on a problem worth considering. However, I should point out that Russia does, in fact, accept outside help:

http://www.pih.org/where/Russia/Russia.html

Also, the point isn't to blame other nations for Russia's problem. The point is that Russia's problem is also one for the rest of Europe (and, though less obviously, for the rest of the world), and that it will benefit them to find a solution.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
BritneySpears said:
The main reason that 'NGOs' are treated with suspiscion in Russia is that the majority of times they are the cover for more sinister activites be they corruption within Russia, mafia or external forces seeking to influence outcomes in Russia....

banco55

HSC
loquasagacious said:
The main reason that 'NGOs' are treated with suspiscion in Russia is that the majority of times they are the cover for more sinister activites be they corruption within Russia, mafia or external forces seeking to influence outcomes in Russia....
I've never heard of them being associated with the mafia. Most of them are democracy/human rights activists but given that the Russians can't function without a boot on their throats they are not very popular.

Plus ca change:

"After establishment of Bolshevist regime, Marxist dogma, rendered even more truculent and intolerant by Lenin's interpretation, became a perfect vehicle for sense of insecurity with which Bolsheviks, even more than previous Russian rulers, were afflicted. In this dogma, with its basic altruism of purpose, they found justification for their instinctive fear of outside world, for the dictatorship without which they did not know how to rule, for cruelties they did not dare not to inflict, for sacrifice they felt bound to demand"

-George Keenan's long telegram

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
My perspective comes from study of the topic at uni, in a Central Asian school, under a Russian lecturer.

Typically NGO's serve as agents of external powers eg wesern governments and lobby groups seeking to influence political outcomes in Russia. Whether you see pushing the rights as seperatist groups like Chechen as being pro-democracy or encouraging the further dissulotion of Russia.

They get involved in supporting individuals and groups in Russian politics and I'd say that when a western backed NGO is backing candidates that it constitutes interference.

In addition to that they serve as ways for russian politicians to distribute patronage. Finally they can serve as covers for mafia activity.

fernando

Poo
HSC
N/A
zimmerman8k said:
Why should we have sympathy for people with AIDS?

God created AIDS to punish fags. Clearly those that have AIDS deserve it. Their behavior is like that of a woman in a short skirt - clearly asking for it!
Right so even rape victims who get AIDS are clearly deserving of this disease?

Children who are raped and get AIDS SURELY must deserve it because as you say.. those that have AIDS deserve it right!?

Seriously? You gotta be kidding.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
fernando said:
Right so even rape victims who get AIDS are clearly deserving of this disease?

Children who are raped and get AIDS SURELY must deserve it because as you say.. those that have AIDS deserve it right!?

Seriously? You gotta be kidding.
He was kidding.

fernando

Poo
HSC
N/A
OH. sorry zimmerman8k =\ my bad haha *hides*

now that i read it again it does seem rather sarcastic. -sigh-

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)