hk -airplane (1 Viewer)

xtrant

HSC
hey guys,
seen all the commotion and frightening blunders of qantas so i dont want to travel with qantas when i go to hk so i was wondering what is the next best company to travel by to hk? and i expect it to be quite expensive when i visit in late jan which is during new years so who knows any great offers then?
thanks for your help again!

Affinity

HSC
you can try flying to macau then take a ferry from there..
else there are cathay and virgin atlantic...

Last edited:

James747

HSC
Viva Macau offers the cheapest fares overall, but they're a no frills airline so expect nothing more than a seat. AS said, you'll have to transfer by ferry after you arive at Macau.
For direct flights, Virgin and Cathay are your next best options. Great selection of movies and service (for cathay).
Sometimes other airlines would offer cheaper fares to hong kong, with a stopover at their hubs. Singapore Airlines is a good one that comes to mind.

HSC
James747 said:
Viva Macau offers the cheapest fares overall, but they're a no frills airline so expect nothing more than a seat. AS said, you'll have to transfer by ferry after you arive at Macau.
For direct flights, Virgin and Cathay are your next best options. Great selection of movies and service (for cathay).
Sometimes other airlines would offer cheaper fares to hong kong, with a stopover at their hubs. Singapore Airlines is a good one that comes to mind.
Lol, your av is Cathay Pacific.

5233andy

HSC
The cheaper option would indeed be Viva Macau. However, if you can't be bothered with the ferry to Hong Kong and would prefer hot meals without having to rummage for change, Virgin Atlantic is the next best airliner, in terms of price. At a similar price, you could fly with Korean Air, via Incheon.

xtrant

HSC
thanks guys for the replies!!
honestly i dont care about the meal because i end up throwing it up anyway but i would like more than a seat ie movies and games to take my mind off the dizziness for like 10 hrs so which one is better virgin atlantic or cathay pacific in terms of price and entertainment and safety?

James747

HSC
virgin atlantic tends to be slightly cheaper than cathay pacific.
Cathay now uses its new economy class seats on all sydney flights, which have a "fixed back" design so if the person in front reclines it doesn't intrude your space (check cathay's website and you'll get what i mean). I haven't flown on the new seats but I've heard they're more comfortable than the previous ones. Both airlines have AVOD so entertainment wise they're both excellent, with a great selection of movies, music and games.
And for safety, they're better than Qantas (for now!) xD

xtrant

HSC
thanks jamese747 (wow ur name is even an airplane!)
yeah checked out the sites and virgins def cheaper and it says that it includes taxes and surcharges but are there any other additional fees that i shld be aware of that they could make me pay?
and i cant seem to find out if its a straight trip there or if theres any stops along the way does anybody know how to do this?

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
it wouldnt be that expensive travelling in late jan in comparison to christmas/new years but be prepared that most flights to HK would be fully booked out if you dont get your ticket early.
I'd rather pay extra and just go for cathay pacific...their service and entertainment is second to none...kept me entertained for the full 9 hours.

xtrant said:
thanks jamese747 (wow ur name is even an airplane!)
yeah checked out the sites and virgins def cheaper and it says that it includes taxes and surcharges but are there any other additional fees that i shld be aware of that they could make me pay?
and i cant seem to find out if its a straight trip there or if theres any stops along the way does anybody know how to do this?
your airfares should include the price of the ticket itself and taxes/surcharges. There shouldn't be anymore additional surcharges. Usually, qantas, cathay and virgin all offer direct flights to HK...other airlines such as malaysian, singapore, air new zealand offer one stop before reaching HK.

xtrant

HSC
thanks jemsta!
virgin atlantic (arnd 1100) costs a whole hundred less than cathay (abt 1200) and thats like 500 hk dollars :D
have you travelled by virgin atlantic jemsta? coz i looked at the entertainment of both virgin atlantic and cathay pacific and both seemed to have sth to keep me entertained but as for service i wldnt know bt all i need on a plane trip is for sth to keep me from knowing that im dizzy and abt to spew

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
i travelled on virgin last time i went (2006) and i would never travel with them again. Not that the service is bad...its just that they offer one flight per day so it was a bit difficult to postpone my flight. Entertainment was alrightish but still not as good as cathay. At least they have more space between seats though.
Id still pay the extra $100 and go with cathay...im pretty sure after you travel with them that you wont regret paying the extra $100

totallybord

HSC
hey
lol im flying to xiamen and i think the cheapest option would probably be singapore air anybody flew on there before? and are there cheaper options? i know it has a good reputation and stuff=D
maybe i shld make another topic...?

isnice

HSC
totallybord said:
hey
lol im flying to xiamen and i think the cheapest option would probably be singapore air anybody flew on there before? and are there cheaper options? i know it has a good reputation and stuff=D
maybe i shld make another topic...?
singapore and emirates are easily the best airlines out there, has been pretty good everytime ive been on.

BoyNextDoor

HSC
We flew with Cathay last month.
Service was great...as well as the actual plane itself.
They use the new Airbus A330 for the SYD-HKG & HKG-SYD routes.....so its even better.

Their inflight entertainment system is awesome. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)