Hmm, ever thought you've chosen the wrong course? (1 Viewer)

Creatine

HSC
N/A
Was pressured into doing it by parents, relatives etc., thought I wouldn't mind doing it anyway but turns out a few weeks in and I'm finding it difficult to show interest in it. 8am starts every day, 5 days a week, usually finish around 4pm. Ridiculous amount of work and a lot of self-loathing is involved with the course. Gah. Hoping it will get better throughout the year. This is what I get for not doing work experience lol.

Anyone else found themselves in a similar situation?

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Was pressured into doing it by parents, relatives etc., thought I wouldn't mind doing it anyway but turns out a few weeks in and I'm finding it difficult to show interest in it. 8am starts every day, 5 days a week, usually finish around 4pm. Ridiculous amount of work and a lot of self-loathing is involved with the course. Gah. Hoping it will get better throughout the year. This is what I get for not doing work experience lol.

Engineering? Science?

Why not change?

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC

what course are you talking about?

melsc

Premium Member
HSC

There are many students who find this, particularly at university level. The best way to maintain motivation and so well in a course is to find one that suits your abilities and interests.

Stick it out for a bit as first year is already a hard transition, you may end up liking it. If not I wish you the best in finding something that suits you better :)

Andi0390

HSC
Sorry dear, but its your own fault for doing something that you didn't want to do. It is your future, your money, your decision and your consequences.

I often feel like I am doing the wrong degree, but other times I feel like I am doing the right one. There are almost always going to be times of doubt but if you start self loathing then its not a good thing.

Make a good decision, at the end of the semester you really should know basically what you want.

Creatine

HSC
N/A
There are many students who find this, particularly at university level. The best way to maintain motivation and so well in a course is to find one that suits your abilities and interests.

Stick it out for a bit as first year is already a hard transition, you may end up liking it. If not I wish you the best in finding something that suits you better :)
Yeah I think at this stage it's definitely important to stick it out for a bit. I can't base my entire future on a few weeks. Tbh I just created this thread to vent a little because AT THIS STAGE it does seem like I've mad the wrong choice lol. But if I quit too early I may seriously regret it because it's not exactly easy to get back into.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
judging by the 5 day a week timetable. im pretty sure its med esp if u were forced into it by ur azn parents. im guessing at either UWS or Monash since those are the only 2 unis i know that do med and 8am starts.
med is pretty shit at the start. its all biology etc. the interesting stuff come 2nd semester. just stick it out for the whole year since its too late to change now. and if u still find it boring, change at the end of the year.

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
judging by the 5 day a week timetable. im pretty sure its med esp if u were forced into it by ur azn parents. im guessing at either UWS or Monash since those are the only 2 unis i know that do med and 8am starts.
med is pretty shit at the start. its all biology etc. the interesting stuff come 2nd semester. just stick it out for the whole year since its too late to change now. and if u still find it boring, change at the end of the year.
UNSW does medicine and has the occasional 8am start.

Raix

HSC
I'm doing Commerce as part of my double degree and I'm hating it...kind of. It involves more work that I'm not as comfortable with as CompSci, 2 8am starts, tute homework, rawr.
I told my parents that if I hate it by the end of the semester, I'm dropping it, even though they want me to stick it out. But then again...it's useful. Gah.

HSC

Let me guess, pharmacy lol.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Stay with it for a year and if you still hate it, drop or transfer. Screw your family, it's your life.

I <3 my degree right now but i will probably hate it when exams/assignments hit me lol

dude01

HSC
I'm doing Commerce as part of my double degree and I'm hating it...kind of. It involves more work that I'm not as comfortable with as CompSci, 2 8am starts, tute homework, rawr.
I told my parents that if I hate it by the end of the semester, I'm dropping it, even though they want me to stick it out. But then again...it's useful. Gah.
Commerce is one of the easiest degrees and you only go to uni like 12 hours a week for a fulltime study load lol. It's awesome, pretty much like being on holiday all year.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
just in response to the title, i think u should change it from "chosen" to "force into". cuz technically, u werent given a choice.

Creatine

HSC
N/A
just in response to the title, i think u should change it from "chosen" to "force into". cuz technically, u werent given a choice.
Yeah true. Idk, I've been told first year sucked by a lot of people because there's so much fricken biology. It's just the amount of self loathing is ridiculous. It is apparently a "privilege" to be able to help people and you need to thank patients for trusting YOU, the doctor. I'm all for contributing to society but being told that I owe society for being born "talented" really annoyed me. Apparently I am not deserving of anything I have lol.

Let me guess, pharmacy lol.
Haha, sorry but there's no way in hell I'd ever do pharmacy. It's just not for me. Forgive me for generalizing (and this is a pretty bold statement) but so many Asian med rejects choose pharmacy thinking it's the next best thing after med before realizing what the profession actually involves and the fact that it is nothing like med. They also think pharmacists earn shit tons and are treated like mini doctors.

Last edited:

Raix

HSC
Commerce is one of the easiest degrees and you only go to uni like 12 hours a week for a fulltime study load lol. It's awesome, pretty much like being on holiday all year.
But I'm doing a combined course and compared to my units for my other degree, the commerce ones suck ahaha

travelinchick07

HSC
Yeah, I was in 2unit maths for a while. I could do it but I hated it and I was only just passing.

I also regret legal studies - the class I was doing on that line got canned so I had to drop one of my favourite subjects and take up legal.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, I was in 2unit maths for a while. I could do it but I hated it and I was only just passing.

I also regret legal studies - the class I was doing on that line got canned so I had to drop one of my favourite subjects and take up legal.
I believe this thread is for "Uni Courses"

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
yeah i regret choosing commerce/science
im pretty much destined to fail microeconomics.

i nearly chose pharmacy though. SO glad i didnt. farrrq.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)