Holiday During Uni? (1 Viewer)

Lukybear

HSC
Hey Guys.

I was recently given an opportunity to go overseas for about 3 - 4 weeks in april towards march after the HSC. What are my options for uni, say if i make it to the preffered course? Should i take a gap year or just do uni until april and take a 3 wk holiday?

Any comment is appreciated.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
If you fuck off for three to four weeks during semester, you will most likely find it really difficult to catch up. I would defer or not go, no point screwing your gpa so early on.

izzy88

HSC
i agree with May-Cat, it will definitely be difficult to catch up. Depending on your course and subjects it is highly likely you will have assignments and/or mid-semester exams during this period and lecturer's do not take 'i'm going on holiday' as an excuse not to complete them.

Also, if there are attendance requirements for tutorials you would probably fail that component by not attending say 4/10 tutorials for example without valid reasons (again, holiday generally doesn't count)- and failing attendance generally means you fail the course.

If you really want to go overseas then defer enrolment for either the semester or the year.

HSC
Would it be possible to just defer the semester? Of course depending on what kind of course you're doing.
I was sick for two weeks this semester (Weeks 3 and 4) and now at exam time I'm really struggling. So four weeks or so would be difficult.

Lukybear

HSC
I was thinking of medicine. Fingers crossed tho. But if medicine is the case, can semesters be deffered?

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I think it depends on what uni you go to, for some you can only defer for the full year.

Lukybear

HSC
Darn. The trip to the US would be such a good experience.

Andi0390

HSC
You can take a leave of absence for six months but I think you have to have already done some study. Not sure about deferment.

In all honesty I would do it. Chances are one of those weeks will be mid semester break, and also the easter long weekend, so you're cutting out on time you have missed. I do Arts, so I guess its very different if you do something more demanding, but there have been times when I don't turn up for four weeks. I don't excel, but I pass, or you know credit pass. Also, you're allowed to post assignments in, so you could do them overseas, or email them to someone local and get them to hand them in. The only bad thing would be a test, but then it depends on what you do. Most lectures are online anyway, and a few tutes let you miss some if you write a report on the reading. So its not impossible.

Up to you I guess. What do you mean from April towards March? March is before April...

Remember you might miss some orientation things if you go to early, and stuff. I say now I would go, but I don't I would have said the same thing at the beginning of the first year. Can you talk to the person offering the trip and see if you can go in Feb?

izzy88

HSC
If you're doing medicine I doubt you can skip time (most the people I know doing med have so much work to do/and a large amount of labs and compulsory classes).

Whilst one of the weeks might be mid-semester break, there are generally assignments timed to be due after this (or during)- and whilst you could send them back to be handed in- that means you have to be doing assignments whilst your on holiday (which for me would personally ruin the holiday/i'd be stressed about what i'm missing, or even more stressed when i got back).

Sorry to be a spoil sport, I just don't think running off for three weeks during semester is such a great idea, well especially when you've only just started university. It can be an adjustment, to figure out what lecturer's want, how assignments are written etc and missing three weeks would make that more difficult.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
As people have said missing three-four whole weeks will make is very very difficult to catch up, especially when you have never studied at university level before. Keep in mind a semester is only 13 weeks so 3-4 weeks is a big proportion of the time. Generally there are also minimum attendance requirements which if not met end in an automatic fail.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)