holiday reading lists (1 Viewer)

Melanie Jane

I've been looking for 1984 but my local library doesn't stock it - I thought that was a bit strange :confused:. I'm going to try a bigger library soon but I've basically just been on the net all holidays. :shy:

rubylotus11

I am so ashamed. I got out books to read over the holidays and so far I've gotten to like Chapter 4 in two books. That's terrible.
Anyway they were meant to be;
War and Peace by Dostoyevsky (sorry Leo Tolstoy)
The House of sand and fog by Andre Debus III
Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
Persuasion by Jane Austen
Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky

Last edited:

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
ahaha hows reading going? ihavent started, i better start before the holidays finish!

J

jhakka

The Mad Ship - Robin Hobb
Ship of Destiny - Robin Hobb
The Skull Beneath the Skin - PD James
Anil's Ghost - Michael O(something)
The Sword In The Storm - David Gemmell
Midnight Falcom - David Gemmell

Last edited by a moderator:

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Angelas Ashes - Frant McCourt
History Wars
History of Middle Earth - I really should start at the begining, but I wanted Volume 7 first - Treason of Isindiur :D
Red Dragon - Thomas Harris

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by rubylotus11
I am so ashamed. I got out four to read over the holidays and so far I've gotten to like Chapter 4 in two books. That's terrible.
Anyway they were meant to be;
War and Peace by Dostoyevsky
Slight correction. War and Peace is actually by Leo Tolstoy. Dostoevsky wrote novels such as Crime and Punishment and The Brothers Karamazov (Still have to read that myself.) :)

As for the 'reading list' itself, I've managed to find Frankenstein and A Room Of One's Own, but have only read A Room Of One's One..Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf? Not I.

rubylotus11

You're absolutely right Gregor. I actually got out War and Peace and Crime and Punishment and mixed them up. I still haven't read any more though.

lazybum

HSC
N/A
a letter to greg

hi gregor
just wonderin since ya know so much bout tolstoy whether you've read anna karenina? well, if ya haven't i recommend it, i'm very much impressed by tolstoy's writing~~~ i'm just about finished, and its taken me about 6 days. tolstoys characters are very intricate and detailed, and his plot is very current..... I didn't think that Russian society whould allow a book written about such privat e matters as the nobility's double dealing and affairs...............

A++

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Re: a letter to greg

Originally posted by lazybum
hi gregor
just wonderin since ya know so much bout tolstoy whether you've read anna karenina? well, if ya haven't i recommend it, i'm very much impressed by tolstoy's writing~~~ i'm just about finished, and its taken me about 6 days. tolstoys characters are very intricate and detailed, and his plot is very current..... I didn't think that Russian society whould allow a book written about such privat e matters as the nobility's double dealing and affairs...............

A++
I haven't actually read Anna Karenina as of yet (Still have plenty of novels to read too, like The Brothers Karamazov, Les Miserables and Gravity's Rainbow.) Will keep it in mind though. Thanks for the recommendation.

Some very radical novels were composed in Russia during the 19th century. Besides Tolstoy, Nickolai Gogol's Dead Souls is a good example, being a vicious satire upon the treatment of the serfs, fifteen years prior to their 1861 emancipation.

lazybum

HSC
N/A
i wish to read les miserables. that's on my booklist, tell me what you think of it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)