Holy Mother Of All Internet Browsers (1 Viewer)

Which is the best?

• Mozilla Firefox

Votes: 23 57.5%
  • Google Chrome

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Internet Explorer

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Safari

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Opera

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Netscape Navigator

Votes: 1 2.5%

• Total voters
HSC
Uni Grad
Not only does IE use heaps of RAM you also have a lot of useless processes running in the background.
Yeh but if you have enough ram who gives a fuck (in reference to the backgrounders)

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Yeh but if you have enough ram who gives a fuck (in reference to the backgrounders)
The system still has to keep track of everything. And you're fucked if you haven't turned off your page file since the system likes to cache shit to the HD randomly. Both cause slowdown.

HSC
Uni Grad
The system still has to keep track of everything. And you're fucked if you haven't turned off your page file since the system likes to cache shit to the HD randomly. Both cause slowdown.
Guess I'm fucked, even more so cos I don't know what that means :S

However if this were to be turned off, would errors arise because of it?

thongetsu

Where aren't I?
HSC
Yay mozilla rapes the internet browser kingdom!

dslme

Benevolent Troll
HSC
FF3.5 here on OSX. Apart from the fact it's taking up about 400mb of RAM right now, it's the best out.

Then again, I haven't closed it for a week so that could explain a bit :)

jazzzod

HSC
I used to be a massive firefox fan, and then it slowly became more and more heavy, with too much unnecessary code. Chrome is much faster. Long live Google.

Chrome ftw.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
However if this were to be turned off, would errors arise because of it?
Only if you run out of memory. Which has only ever happened to me once with my 4GB RAM system.

Basically, the page file caches to the HD anything you're not using. It degrades the HD faster, causes slowdown when caching and when retrieving, and is often done even when plenty of RAM is available (depending on how smart the OS is... and Windows is DUMB).

So when you've got 4GB of RAM there's little point caching anything to the HD unless you like to play 2 games at once while having dozens of tabs open.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
FF3.5 here on OSX. Apart from the fact it's taking up about 400mb of RAM right now, it's the best out.

Then again, I haven't closed it for a week so that could explain a bit :)
Firefox is one of the slower browsers now (being only about 4 times faster than IE), but it still the most memory efficient.

Part of it is because all Firefox tabs are a single process.

So it's kind of misleading to say things like "Firefox is bloated" - it's slower and has more feature, but it also uses less memory.

lonely-lass

HSC
N/A
I voted ie coz I used it alot but I have switched to firefox now.

nevery

HSC
Firefox FTW!

Heaps of add-ons, themse, pretty quick, lots of options in general. I love the web developer toolbar and firebug. :)

Best browser overall.

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
Chrome seems to die a lot more than Firefox when I have a million tabs open, so I only use it for quickly searching up stuff. Firefox for everything else =)

nevery

HSC
Chrome seems to die a lot more than Firefox when I have a million tabs open, so I only use it for quickly searching up stuff. Firefox for everything else =)
Uh-huh. Firefox almost never fails. :)

I don't use computer-based email like Outlook, but does anyone know if Thunderbird rips Outlook like Firefox rips Internet Explorer? :tongue:

appletoa

HSC
Well, I use both Safari and Firefox, but Safari wins out most of the time because it's a split second second or so faster than Firefox :tongue:. Use firefox whenever I want it's added functionality, such as easy downloading of videos from youtube. Safari does use a fair bit of memory though, using 615mb at the moment (it does have an excuse however, in that it's got 54 tabs open in 8 windows, and I haven't quit it for 9 days).

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Well, I use both Safari and Firefox, but Safari wins out most of the time because it's a split second second or so faster than Firefox :tongue:. Use firefox whenever I want it's added functionality, such as easy downloading of videos from youtube. Safari does use a fair bit of memory though, using 615mb at the moment (it does have an excuse however, in that it's got 54 tabs open in 8 windows, and I haven't quit it for 9 days).
9 days mate with 54 tabs. Why not give the poor thing a break.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
i opened up ff for the first time in months, and this was linked on the ff homepage: Overview of Browsers � Open To Choice

i dont geddit! every browser mentioned say they're the best and fastest!

Introducing Safari 4. Take a look at the remarkable new features of the world’s fastest web browser. Learn more

Get a fast, free web browser
Google Chrome runs websites and applications with lightning speed.

Meet the World’s Best Browser
With security, stability, speed and much more, Firefox is made for the way you use the Web. Free and easy to install!

Opera10.51
The fastest browser on Earth

?????????????????????????????????????

so far i've only used ff, chrome, and safari. Safari is like ff but a bit quicker, and chrome is the fastest at loading pages and opening up.
Srsly i opened up ff just then, and it took like 20 seconds.
I open up chrome as soon as my laptop turns on (so it's still loading stuff), no more than 5 seconds.
If my laptop has been on for a while, chrome opens in less than 1 second.

pman

Banned
HSC
The only one i never use is opera...they have there pros and cons...the rest of my family use ie so i use that if its already open....navigator is on there for lols.. haven't used in about 3 yrs.
the chrome extensions work well for me except the facebook beautifier one

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)