honestly i’m so torn on what to do at uni. can you still get a job as a teacher with a diploma of education? (1 Viewer)

katiekms

HSC
because i mentioned to one of my teachers that i wanted to get some sort of education degree. she mentioned two options, do 4 years of primary education (that’s the level im thinking of doing), or, do 3 years of visual communication design (i’m kinda interested in that) + 1 year of diploma of education - which apparently broadens my qualifications, but i’m not sure if you can actually get a job with just that diploma.
which one is the best idea do you think? (idk what im doing at all) :oldconfused:

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
It is important to note that not all education/teaching programs are accredited by NESA. Becoming a teacher in NSW requires completion of a NESA-accredited degree, a list of which can be found here (sorted by university/educational institution). Because of this, diplomas and graduate diplomas in education/teaching are not NESA-accredited teaching degrees, but rather act as pathway programs for degrees that are accredited by NESA, examples of which include a Bachelor of Education and a Master of Teaching. You can still study a diploma or graduate diploma in education/teaching and subsequently complete a NESA-accredited teaching degree, although this could result in longer study duration.

If you are interested in primary school teaching, then a Bachelor of Education (Primary) is likely a good option, as it provides a good balance between gaining knowledge that encompasses the relevant subject areas at primary school level as well as the necessary knowledge and skills for primary school teaching. You could also study a Bachelor of Visual Communication Design (or similar) followed by a Master of Teaching (Primary) if you are interested in this field. In making an informed decision, you may wish to consider the more comprehensive degree between a Bachelor of Education (Primary) and a Bachelor of Visual Communication Design in terms of content, the reason being that you may be able to teach more subjects if either degree focuses on more subject areas than the other.

I hope this helps! 😄

Duskheaven

HSC
I would personally do a normal 3 year degree in a field of my choice, then, do the Education masters at UNSW which is 1.3 years. (Or at any other uni whose masters is ~1yr)

In total, 4.3 years and you get Master's rather than bachelors (this is definitely relevant if you want to teach internationally, don't know about domestically).

An extremely legitimate reason as to why this could be a better plan is because it opens up other career paths, using the bachelors which may be relevant as the % of teachers who leave the field within 5 years of joining is extremely high. I believe ~20% quit in the first 5 yrs. Verify the attrition rate.

Last edited:

katiekms

HSC
It is important to note that not all education/teaching programs are accredited by NESA. Becoming a teacher in NSW requires completion of a NESA-accredited degree, a list of which can be found here (sorted by university/educational institution). Because of this, diplomas and graduate diplomas in education/teaching are not NESA-accredited teaching degrees, but rather act as pathway programs for degrees that are accredited by NESA, examples of which include a Bachelor of Education and a Master of Teaching. You can still study a diploma or graduate diploma in education/teaching and subsequently complete a NESA-accredited teaching degree, although this could result in longer study duration.

If you are interested in primary school teaching, then a Bachelor of Education (Primary) is likely a good option, as it provides a good balance between gaining knowledge that encompasses the relevant subject areas at primary school level as well as the necessary knowledge and skills for primary school teaching. You could also study a Bachelor of Visual Communication Design (or similar) followed by a Master of Teaching (Primary) if you are interested in this field. In making an informed decision, you may wish to consider the more comprehensive degree between a Bachelor of Education (Primary) and a Bachelor of Visual Communication Design in terms of content, the reason being that you may be able to teach more subjects if either degree focuses on more subject areas than the other.

I hope this helps! 😄
thank you so much this helps heaps!! :oldsmile:

katiekms

HSC
I would personally do a normal 3 year degree in a field of my choice, then, do the Education masters at UNSW which is 1.3 years. (Or at any other uni whose masters is ~1yr)

In total, 4.3 years and you get Master's rather than bachelors (this is definitely relevant if you want to teach internationally, don't know about domestically).

An extremely legitimate reason as to why this could be a better plan is because it opens up other career paths, using the bachelors which may be relevant as the % of teachers who leave the field within 5 years of joining is extremely high. I believe ~20% quit in the first 5 yrs. Verify the attrition rate.
so with the masters would i still be able to do normal teaching domestically? and whats the difference between masters and diploma if they’re around the same length? thank you!

carrotsss

HSC
so with the masters would i still be able to do normal teaching domestically? and whats the difference between masters and diploma if they’re around the same length? thank you!
yeah as long as it’s on this list

Duskheaven

HSC
UNSW 1.3yr masters is accredited btw. You can become a teacher with it.

Masters has more reputation than diploma. Not sure how relevant that is domestically.

Masters is theoretically meant to be longer than a diploma. But, masters programs are getting shorter and shorter to attract students. The UNSW teaching masters is very short (usyd masters is 2yrs). I don't know the specifics.

lolcti

HSC
N/A
UNSW 1.3yr masters is accredited btw. You can become a teacher with it.

Masters has more reputation than diploma. Not sure how relevant that is domestically.

Masters is theoretically meant to be longer than a diploma. But, masters programs are getting shorter and shorter to attract students. The UNSW teaching masters is very short (usyd masters is 2yrs). I don't know the specifics.
i have a question, why'd you randomly come back 6 years after ur hsc?

Duskheaven

HSC
i have a question, why'd you randomly come back 6 years after ur hsc?
Keep in mind. I'm still in uni.

I have a strong track record of being involved in education. I have worked in my universities marketing department with highschoolers for the last 5yrs. Run various workshops & programs with highschoolers. Used to run programs for first years freah outta hsc. I also do supplementary teaching for my university. My honours project is in education.

Also im on the student council etc because education is just a main value of mine.

Because I also know an abnormally high amount various degree programs / pathways etc I can also probs help ppl a lot more than average

Highschool education -> tertiary education has always been relevant to me

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)