Honours in Ancient History - Latin? (1 Viewer)

Oget

HSC
Hey guys,

I'm considering doing honours in ANHS though my tutor in one of my ANHS units told me it's essential to do latin or greek (depending on what you study) to perform well.

Is this true?

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
That's pretty much what i've been told, if you want to do anything postgrad you really need to know a relevant language.

X

xeuyrawp

Hey guys,

I'm considering doing honours in ANHS though my tutor in one of my ANHS units told me it's essential to do latin or greek (depending on what you study) to perform well.

Is this true?
At USyd that's true; because the think the ancient world is Greece and Rome.

If you go to a better department, you'll be told (as maycat said) that you need to do the relevant language; whether that's Greek, Latin, Egyptian, Hebrew, Akkadian, Sanskrit, etc.

Doing honours in ancient history without the language skills is methodologically very precarious. Even if you're doing something archaeological, having the languages is really essential. Although I'm biased. /shrug

Edit: I should probably note that they simply might not let you do honours without the language skills... So you should probably ask an academic advisor or something.

Last edited by a moderator:

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
if you're at usyd, then yes, an ancient language is required to do honours. the rule is that you need at least first-year latin or greek, or equivalent HSC or external study. if you need to know more, you should email alastair blanshard, who's responsible for coordinating honours admissions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)