Honours (1 Viewer)

richz

hi,

Im a bit confused with honours, wats the criteria. ie. do i need to maintain a D or HD average during my time at uni for my course, to b offered or to b accepted into doing honours, or only the final year counts OR sumthing else i havent stated.

The reason for this is becuz my friend wants to do honours in animal sci (usyd) and i thut u just needed to get Ds or HDS in the final year to be considered for honours.

Last edited by a moderator:

sweetcherry

HSC
Uni Grad
It has been said that you need to maintain a GPA of at least 6.8 to be eligible for the Honours program in your Bachelor course.

richz

sweetcherry said:
It has been said that you need to maintain a GPA of at least 6.8 to be eligible for the Honours program in your Bachelor course.
how do u work out ur GPA. and wat is it out of, 10?

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
sweetcherry said:
That would rule out 99% of the people in a degree.

For engineering at USyd I believe you need a WAM of 65 ie credit average, but I am in no way sure. Check your faculty handbook for the exact WAM required.

richz

how do i read WAMs, ie wat WAM is a credit, wat WAMS a D etc

sweetcherry

HSC
Uni Grad
Suppose its different at all universities in Australia.

At USQ, you need to maintain a GPA of at least 6.8 - that is the maximum you can get, to get accepted into a Honours program

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
xrtzx said:
how do i read WAMs, ie wat WAM is a credit, wat WAMS a D etc
WAM

sweetcherry said:
Suppose its different at all universities in Australia.

At USQ, you need to maintain a GPA of at least 6.8 - that is the maximum you can get, to get accepted into a Honours program
Considering that by the conventional system you can only get a GPA of 7, 6.8 is mighty hard and USQ must be really stingy.

Generator

HSC
N/A
As Templar implied, the entry requirements for an Honours year tend to be faculty specific, but in most cases the minimum level of achievement required is a credit average.

Anyone with a question regarding Honours entry requirements would be best to contact the relevant faculty rather than ask us here on BOS.

sweetcherry said:
Ah, the website suggests otherwise (for a BA and a BSc, anyway).

Last edited:

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
xrtzx said:
hi,

The reason for this is becuz my friend wants to do honours in animal sci (usyd) and i thut u just needed to get Ds or HDS in the final year to be considered for honours.
Animal science has a different structure to most 'typical' bachelors courses. The above responses are true. The Bachelor of Animal Science (which has now been renamed to B Animal Veterinary Bioscience) has an honours year included in the course i.e. the course is 4 years including honours.

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
It depends on the uni and the number of applicants just like your UAI will affect the chances of you getting into an undergrad program depending how popular it is.

If your friend is finshing their uni degree and are ready to go for honours then they should talk to your faculties postgraduate co-ordinator about possibilities for honours with current results. If it's just pie in the sky talk and you both just finished the HSC in 2005 then worry about getting through first year first.

I'd say people could get in even with a credit average at most unis unless there is competition.

And some unis incorporate an honours year at the end of the degree or let you graduate with honours if you have high marks.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
just for the sake of completion..

some places allow u to get honours yr.. with a minimum of a pass.
choosing who goes into the program very faculty specific and depends on supply-demand..

lala2

Banned
HSC
Geez...those degrees must be really hard to pass in the first place if Honours is awarded for just passing. Is it true scaling is used to calculate your GPA?

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
No, the courses are relatively easy if you bother to work.

What do you mean by true scaling? The mark you get is already scaled such that a mark in any subject is equivalent to the same mark in any other subject, regardless of what it is.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
lala2 said:
Geez...those degrees must be really hard to pass in the first place if Honours is awarded for just passing. Is it true scaling is used to calculate your GPA?
No its just certain courses dun have GPAs either.. its mainly about competency
cos their cohort is exclusive or isnt scaled.. or they hav done extra subjects and projects

lala2

Banned
HSC
Oh what I mean was that is scaling used to determine your GPA just as scaling was used to determine your UAI? (i.e. according to the strength of your cohort)?

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
The mark given to you by the uni in the results after all your assessment is as is. A 80 in any subject is the same as a 80 in any other subject, there is no scaling after you get that mark. It is already modified before giving it to you.

A GPA, unlike UAI, is not a discrete rank (although since results can be cohort based, indirectly it might be). It is just a system used that takes into account how many subjects of each grade you have got.

EATAPIE

BMW>>>>Mercedes (see sig)
HSC
xrtzx said:
hi,

Im a bit confused with honours, wats the criteria. ie. do i need to maintain a D or HD average during my time at uni for my course, to b offered or to b accepted into doing honours, or only the final year counts OR sumthing else i havent stated.

hey rich, thanks for the thread. Yeah, i'm the one that wants to do honours in B animal and veterinary bioscience. so do i have to get Ds or HDs this year (1st year) to be eligible for honours later on? or can i just pass this year without wasting any effort?

Hey rich, btw, this is gonna be like calculating/estimating UAIs all over again. Except now its GPAs and WAMs... Far out, the UAI estimators of 2005 have to adapt to uni scaling now. Aargh!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)